News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

Using PGO archives to make a CSV file

Started by Mollywog, October 03, 2004, 09:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mollywog

Hello!

I manage a Yahoogroup that currently has about 150,000 messages.  We are currently in the process of moving to a message board format where the posts are stored in MySQL database.  The tech support folks told me if I can get the Ygroups messages downloaded and formatted into a CSV file, that they can upload them and I can archive them on our new message boards.

Soooo....I read through the documentation here and not being a techie I am just wondering if someone can give me an idea of how to go about this?  I realize that with a large archive like we have it will take a while to download everything.  When one computer is being used to download over a period of time, do the messages continue to be added to the same Access database each time the download resumes? I figure it does but I need to know so I don't create a big mess I don't know how to clean up.  

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks!  :)

Molly

Wilson Logan

Hi Molly,

I'll contact you personally about this.

Cheers,

Wilson.

Crazy Serb

Hey, I was just trying to find out how to do this as well...

What format are the messages in MDB file stored, how to extract them, get them into an SQL compatible file?

Can you let me know please?

gavmac

Crazy,

Hopefully my reply on "mdb help"  thread has pointed you in the right direction.

Gavin

Wilson Logan

I've got a utility to do Yahoo to phpBB conversion. If this is the board you're going to use then you should contact me.

wilson.logan (at) ntlworld.com

even if it isn't maybe we can modify the tool for your requirements.

Cheers,

Wilson.

Crazy Serb

^^

Haven't heard back from you yet... did you get my email?

And yea, that tool would be very helpful, since I'm trying to port all the messages to vBulletin system, which is similar to that of phpBB.

Let me know if you can forward me that tool or what is the deal... Thanks!

Wilson Logan

Sorry mate, I did get your email but I lost it. Things are a bit bonkers here at the moment. Can you send it again?  

Crazy Serb

well, i just said something along the lines of my previous post here... I'm trying to export this to vBulletin database, and since phpBB is similar to it, that conversion tool might be very helpfull.

Send me more info to mail[at]gusic.com

Thanks

Crazy Serb

actually, if I could export this into phpBB format, I could use ImpEx import system for vBulletin to import all that data into vBulletin... which means I just need that tool without any modifications to it? Let me give it a shot.

Wilson Logan

Hi,

Info about the utility (its a new version of PGO) is here:

http://www.pgoffline.com/pgo-plus.htm

Cheers,

Wilson.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk