News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

Yahoo Groups Closing?

Started by xdownloader1, October 16, 2019, 03:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xdownloader1

I get a message "After October 28th no new content will be allowed".  In the list of what's going away - it includes everything including conversations, email messaging etc.

Is it true?
D

Wilson Logan

yes.

Horses mouth…

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN31010.html?impressions=true

casstk

Question from a YG moderator: "will we still have access to the old message archives? I see that the archive view is going away. Will search still work? Their announcement is vague in spots as to what happens to the old messages and access to them"

Wilson Logan

Search will not work after Dec 14th.

martin_lists

Another question: if we just decide to let our Groups close without moving them to a new platform, are there any other ways of accessing the archived .PG4 files besides using the PGO program?  The previous format - some years ago now - was compatible with Excel but I notice the .PG4 format doesn't open quite as smoothly.

Martin
NZ

Wilson Logan

The PG4 format is an SQLite database.

You can use the free program SQLite Studio to open and read the contents.

Cheers,

Wilson.

xdownloader

I will continue to use PGO as a reader of old messages which I downloaded.  The only functionality that will no longer be used is to "refresh" or "download".  I am hoping the PGO program will continue to function as a reader.  Not sure about the license part, though.

Wilson Logan

It will continue to work as a reader for downloaded data.

It will continue to have a download capability only there will be nothing to download.

alhena

Quote from: Wilson Logan on October 23, 2019, 10:20:09 PM
It will continue to work as a reader for downloaded data.

It will continue to have a download capability only there will be nothing to download.

The PGO could be adapted to download from the Yahoo web mails?  Me and thousand of people do not use a mail client, we download to web mail ... but can we trust Yahoo to continue keeping our contents for free? 

Regads,
alhena

Wilson Logan

I have no idea what "Yahoo web mail" is.

Is it a web based email client?  If yes then Yahoo will not delete the data from it.

But you should get & use an email program on your PC.

PGO latest beta imports data from Yahoo MBOX files if that's any use.

Cheers,

Wilson.

alhena

Commenting on "Reply Nr 9" by Wilson

A "webmail" is cloud computing, an inbox in the cloud, mails are received, read and stored there, i dont use a mail client to download ... along the years a big contents.  I know Yahoo is not deleting my contents now, but who knows in the future?

PGO is so good soft ... I thought it may be adapted to be a good mail client.

>>Wilson "PGO latest beta imports data from Yahoo MBOX files if that's any use."

Interesting, is that beta available to download?   

Wilson Logan

PGO is so good soft ... I thought it may be adapted to be a good mail client.

>>>> I agree.

>>Wilson "PGO latest beta imports data from Yahoo MBOX files if that's any use."

Interesting, is that beta available to download?   

>>>> http://www.personalgroupware.com/groupmanager/pg-offline-4-0-907.zip

Cheers,

Wilson.

alhena

Reference to Wilson's Reply Nr 11 above.

Hi Wilson, I started to install the beta 4-0-907  but see it will be installed at my Prog Files under "PG Offline 4" and that's the same title at C:/Users ...etc for my PGO 4.0.901 already in use.  So I cancelled the installation... please help, sorry if it's very silly doubt. 

Then another question, is this beta the best viewer for mbox files?  Yahoo sent me today a big file to download with all my groups under that address (I have others),  Now the "orphan" (no mod)  groups as mine came to be part of the business, paying the same US$220 as "mod groups"  the io people can inject the mbox to the new group. 

Thanks a lot
alhena

P.S. to bMaverick if he would be reading, Thank you for your recommendation, my download from Yahoo failed twice, then I connected the cable ... via wifi the max speed was 100 kb/sec, via physical cable 1.4 MB/sec.

Wilson Logan

I dunno.

Try the MBOX import and see what you think...

BMaverick

Quote from: alhena on November 28, 2019, 10:26:00 PM
alhena

P.S. to bMaverick if he would be reading, Thank you for your recommendation, my download from Yahoo failed twice, then I connected the cable ... via wifi the max speed was 100 kb/sec, via physical cable 1.4 MB/sec.

Glad it has helped.   :)  We are in the same boat really, using this good PGO software to save a few decades of history knowledge from valuable sources otherwise not found anywhere else.

There are several owners, moderators and folks like my group with neither that only PGO is the only viable solution to bridge the migration.

Nothing else is working but PGO.  None of the Python scripts nor the Chrome ext anymore after August this year.  Seems YG changed some things behind the scenes.

Glad Wilson's software is working.  I've made recommendations to several of the other YG owners and mods in the Ag and tractor groups.  12 groups have made the move so far.  Many with PGO.  Only the John Deere tractor group could afford the premium membership to make the hop.

BMaverick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk