News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

New Developer

Started by Wilson Logan, January 24, 2015, 04:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilson Logan

Hi All,

As you may know I have been (trying to) learn VC# to take on the maintenance of PGO myself.

Its a big learning curve so I have engaged a new developer, Ihor from the Ukraine.

He has identified the main issue as being the data request format.

In the past Yahoo accepted HTTP requests but now it requires Web Browser control requests.

This is a problem because there any many methods within PGO which use HTTP request.

Our plan is to prove the concept by replacing the HTTP requests for login & message download first & build a test release.

You can expect a new release before the end of this week (30/01/2015).

Cheers,

Wilson.

Ps. is anyone able to login or get messages with any version of PGO now?
I need to know because it will mean this Yahoo change isn't fully rolled out.

Bill Bradshaw

I can still get messages from some of my groups.  The last time this started I wrote messages about the groups I could not get to.  These groups are the same ones that I am having problems with again.  Unfortunately I am leaving on a 2 week trip so I will not be able to help much.  These groups: BackpackGearSwap, etrex_legend, MCAK, OZI-USERSCE, and tidetool-notification-list are the ones that I can not get into from PGO.
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska.

Bill Bradshaw

Forgot to include I am using version 4.0.820 and running Windows 7 Pro.
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska.

gfineman

I can still get messages from public groups but not from others. I should note that I can get these messages even if not logged in to Yahoo already. This is true whether I have the skip authorization box checked or not. However, I can not get to restricted or private groups

-Gabe

Wilson Logan

Bill, Gabe,

Well, that confirms what we thought i.e. login is not working.

I'd have been concerned if it was working.

Ihor has sent me a screenshot of his new version of PGO which has login & message downloading working.

We have an issue with VS2013 being unable to compile our installer project but I think its fixable.

Once we have a release, Ihor will send it to me & I will test it.

Now, if it works, should I release it?  Remember, only login & download messages will be working. Files, folders, pictures & attachments will not be working.

Cheers,

Wilson.

Wilson Logan

Ihor sent me a new release last night (821).

It works, albeit, its as slow as a week in jail.

Interestingly it is now multi threading. I was able to download six groups simultaneously.

I have no idea what the limit on simultaneous threads is. There may not even be one.

Of course, this has played merry hell with the 'Stop' function as it has no idea what to stop.

But... all in all, quite interesting.

I will upload this version here later today.

Cheers,

Wilson.

Wilson Logan

File is here:

www.personalgroupware.com/groupmanager/pg-offline-4-0-821.zip

Wilson Logan

BTW expect a warning when you install:

"windows firewall has blocked some features of phantomjs is a headless webkit"

Basically you need to allow access.

This is the new way we are getting logged on to Yahoo.

martin_lists

Thanks to Wilson and Ihor for taking this forward.  I've installed the new version but it just seems to sit and then hang when I select "refresh".  I'll leave it for a while since you warned us it would be slow, and see what happens ...

martin_lists

Hmmm, 47 minutes now and still sitting there saying "Logging in with account [my username]".  That may be starting to be a little long :-)

Wilson Logan

No, don't use Refresh.

The new multi threading has probably broken it.

Stop the program, restart it and select a group and choose Start.

Choose another group and choose Start. Repeat as necessary.

I'm am currently downloading 8 groups simultaneously.

Admittedly, its taking 2 minutes per page but I'm getting 8 groups at the same time.

Lets see what the Yahoo download limit makes of that...

Cheers,

Wilson. 

martin_lists

When I look along the icons, all except Refresh look semi-greyed out.  However, clicking on the group name then Start does the same as Refresh - "logging in ..." then just hangs.  Sitting for 17 minutes now after using the "Start" button.

Wilson Logan

Ok... sounds like it might be a firewall issue.

Release 821 needs access through your firewall. Previous versions did not but then previous versions now can't log on to Yahoo.

If you open your Windows Firewall if you look in Inbound there should be at least two exceptions for phantomjs.exe

Please see the attached screenshot of my Windows Firewall.

Cheers,

Wilson.

martin_lists

Thanks, Wilson - here's my screenshot which looks like it has the same settings as yours.  I rebooted, opened PGO, selected my group, pressed start, and eight hours later it seems to be still hanging.  It still just says "Logging in with account [my username]".

martin_lists

Interesting development just now - 55 minutes after starting a new session, I got a "receiving messages for group" message, followed by the old "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" and then termination.  But then a message from Yahoo saying an unexpected log-in attempt had been detected - screenshots below.

Curious to know if others have had this happen too.

Martin
NZ

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk