News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

Multiple Databases

Started by Steeley, April 06, 2019, 05:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steeley

It appears that multiple groups are all stored in the same messages.db3 database file.

Is there a setting I haven't found yet to direct messages from different groups to different message.db3 files? I see the option to load a new database, but it has to exist first in order to do that. Am I missing something?  ???

If not, I'd add that to the "wish list".

Wilson Logan

I see what you mean.

Currently if you want separate groups for individual databases you need to close and open each in turn.

Which I agree is a bit of a pfaff.

The way the PGO Facebook product works is that it has a master database and each group has its own subfolder and slave database.

It was designed that way from the off.  PGO was not.

I think it unlikely that we'll ever make such a drastic structural change to PGO.

What we *might* do is automate the opening and closing of database in a "Refresh" situation.

Cheers,

Wilson.

Steeley

Quote from: Wilson Logan on April 06, 2019, 10:01:42 AM
I see what you mean.

Currently if you want separate groups for individual databases you need to close and open each in turn.

Which I agree is a bit of a pfaff.

The way the PGO Facebook product works is that it has a master database and each group has its own subfolder and slave database.

It was designed that way from the off.  PGO was not.

I think it unlikely that we'll ever make such a drastic structural change to PGO.

What we *might* do is automate the opening and closing of database in a "Refresh" situation.

Cheers,

Wilson.

S'OK.. I'm still learning the program capabilities.. I see I can export to separate "PG4" db so maybe that will suffice for my purposes. Haven't tried re-importing to see what that does yet .. but using things in ways that weren't originally intended is my specialty.. (yes, you CAN drive a screw with a hammer - not elegant but....)

Wilson Logan

The PG4 files aren't databases. They are "archive" files.

You can't read them directly with PGO. You'd need to create a new database and import your PG4 file into the new database.

You can import the PG4 file into an existing database as well. It doesn't have to be brand new.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk