News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

Moving from Yahoo Groups to bbPress using PGO

Started by Josh, June 15, 2015, 05:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glcost

Wilson, I'm a bit confused and need some clarification.  I am trying to go from YG to WP bbpress. I have already installed a new wordpress site and added the bbpress plugin.  For my Yahoo group, I have used pg offline 4 version 4.0.907 to download all YG data. I have my members in csv form and have all my messages archived in a .pg4 file, and I exported them also to sql, and pipe deliminated text.

I have been able to successfully import all members. I am now trying to get the messages loaded.

From some of the old posts here(above), there are steps that may be eliminated due to using our newest version of PGOnline, so I am confused as to the steps I should be taking at this point.

With what I now have, how should I proceed to get my messages into bbpress from here?  Which export file is the best to use.

Thanks again for providing an option for all of us in this YG regard!!

George

Wilson Logan

George,

AFAIK, there's no way to import data direct from PGO to BBpress.

I spent about 4 weeks trying. I paid for a plugin. I tried really, really hard.

And then I gave in & did what I should have done from the start and I spent two weeks writing a program to read PGO data and write to the Wordpress database directly.

It was an experience I'd rather not repeat.

Cheers,

Wilson.

glcost

Okay, got it. what would you charge to convert 24800 messages to wordpress?

Wilson Logan

"It was an experience I'd rather not repeat."

I'm not joking.  I'd rather bait a crocodile with my privates.

All kidding aside, I haven't the bandwidth right now to do this personally.

I could probably find a friend to look at it for you.

Its gonna be about $250.

Cheers,

Wilson.

glcost

Wilson, Thanks for the estimate. I'm not in a tremendous rush to get the new bbpress site up even though YG goes away tomorrow. I'll probably struggle with the conversion for a bit to see if I can do it. If not, you will hear back.

George

Wilson Logan

I wish you the best of luck with that.

There may be an easier solution out there but I didn't find it.

Max Pre-Server

Since PHPBB has been discussed in this thread, I'm not sure if I should start a new thread or not. If I should let me know and I will.

I saw over on GMF that there have been improvements to the PHPBB converter process. I would like to purchase the script or program (not entirely sure what form it is in currently), as I am working with quite a few groups and need to set up a read-only forum site with one per group (and there are quite a few groups - there are several of us who did what we could to preserve vintage synthesizer and music groups). Some are still active and want to move to a forum-based site, and others are simply needing an online message archive (many are Mac users too). It would be more time-efficient I feel if I could do the conversions as there are so many of them to do. Combined, including dead groups that have valuable information, I'm looking at about 350!. Please let me know if you're willing to sell me a copy of the program. I would greatly appreciate it.

Wilson Logan

Its working now.

http://www.frenchandlogan.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=4e39cdca05fe408c4a5620124d0a7b28

I do it as a service.  $200 per group + $1 per 1000 records uploaded.

If you have some tremendous number to do then we can come to an arrangement.

It would probably be best to take that discussion offline.

info@personalgroupware.com

Cheers,

Wilson.

Wilson Logan

Max Pre-Server

I've done some experimenting with bbPress and it is possible to do it manually, but as expected it's super time-consuming. Basically you need to use a CSV importer and split your messages into three spreadsheets/tables - one for your forum, one for topics, and one for replies. I followed this thread: https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/import-bb-data-from-csv-file-to-bbpress-forum/. If there was a way to automate the splitting into the three different tables it would be a lot faster. But I was able to import a 50-post group into a local Wordpress install successfully, if not the cleanest result (Yahoo formatting was crap). Quotes do not work. Lots of manual cleaning up may be needed.

Wilson Logan

The problem I have is running the BBpress functions to reconnect all the parents to children etc.

Once you get to 5000+ posts the time the functions take exceed the server timeout.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk