News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

Y-groups filter

Started by harryh89, October 23, 2019, 02:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harryh89

Some groups I want to archive have been infected by spammers.  In the files section they post 'files' that really are links, invariably in the root directory.  They are obviously useless drek and are say 5kb in size.  In selecting files I would like to impose a bound, say ignore if < 6kB.  Root files aren't enumerated for selection so I need to apply a filter.

In the photos section, I find that they deposit other trash usually after a group owner abandonment date.  I'd like to filter those by date.  But I can readily see the album name, so can ignore the trash.

Wilson Logan

There's a filter for attachments but not Files & Photos.

Maybe download everything and then post hoc delete what you don't want?

Use Files -- > Open data folder to see the download folders.

harryh89

Indeed, my delete key works.

Photos were easy.  For really spam infested dead groups, I manually downloaded files of importance.  Many groups I went no-email because of the file spammers injecting junk.  Valid content dating back to 2000 was archived but some of these groups were abandoned by owners and members often continued for a long time in spite of spammers. 

IMHO, Yahoo traffic benefited from the spam bots creating traffic of no real utility but good for stats. 

Early days many groups were created, generated activity, owners clueless gave up, spammers took over, group dead. 

Wilson Logan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk