News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

Flat File or HTML File Storage

Started by vbwyrde, April 14, 2006, 06:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vbwyrde

hi - ok not sure what's up with this but when I try to open the ygroups.mdb I get an error:  "Unrecognized database format".  Um... I probably have the "wrong" version of MS Access.   Well, there you go then... I'm hosed unless I pay $$$ for an upgrade.   Not great.   What would be great, however, is an option to save the files as plain text, or to save them as HTML files on the client.   Then I would not be glued to anyone elses proprietary software to read my files.   Mucho-grande.   As it is now, the usefulness of pgo just dropped off the bottom of my chart unless I fork over the $$$ to MS for an upgrade to Access.    Not quite pleased about this, unless there already happens to be a workaround.  Thanks.

Wilson Logan

PGO is designed as a total environment for reading, searching and archiving Yahoo group messages offline.

It is not a group ripper and was specifically designed not to be, in order to stop it being used to steal content from Yahoo for re-publication.  

Sadly, this has meant that people with a genuine need to have the messages exported in HTML or flat file format are denied these features.

Cheers,

Wilson.

vbwyrde

I'm not sure I get the idea.  Since I can open the file in the application view I can still cut and paste any content I want and put it anywhere anyway.   So how having a proprietary database like ms access as the back end makes a difference I'm not quite seeing.   The problem with it, however, is clear to me:  I must upgrade to the current version of ms access in order to get to the actual source data.   I'd so much rather have html files storage option, which I think would make your product less reliant on Darth Vendor, and that's always a good thing.   Not that I'm saying don't use Access.   I'm just suggesting that an option for downloading into HTML format would make the product even better.   Which is to say:  I love PG Offline!   It really is a great help.  Thanks!

vbwyrde

Wilson Logan

My intention is to make ripping off a group difficult. Its not possible to make it 'Impossible'. Not unless I displayed the group messages as PDF files and even then you can get PDF editors.

What I can't do is make ripping off a group a no-brainer with an 'export to HTML / flat file' option.  

I hope you can appreciate the dilema.

Cheers,

Wilson.

vbwyrde

Thanks for the reply, man.  

I see.  Ok, well I don't want to suggest anything that might compromise you guys in a legal issue, so do what you gotta do.  I'll just say that's a shame.  Too bad the Internet has so many people on it willing to break the law that it makes this kind of move necessary.   Anyway, just the same, thanks for a great product!

vbwyrde

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk