News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

Member address download

Started by gfineman, February 10, 2019, 11:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gfineman

Someone recently told me that Yahoo doesn't allow the download of email addresses anymore. She thinks that this is to thwart those who want to move over to groups.io[/size].  Indeed, when I go on Yahoo to send a email reply, it hides the address of the recipient.

[/size]
[/size]I just went through importing all of the addresses for a group and it took quite a while to complete the 5000 or so addresses.  However, the export had [/size]only 5226 email addresses while Yahoo lists the membership at 5317.
[/size]
[/size]Is it showing me the store the addresses from the last time I ran the import program?  Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

[/size]-Gabe Fineman
[/size]Washington, DC

Wilson Logan

So something funny is happening.

I tried to get members for an existing group (which has < 5000 members).

By "existing"  I mean one which  I had previously downloaded members from and that was OK.

Group is Quorn_owners (see attached).

An attempt to DL members from a new group from which I had not previously downloaded members but with > 5000 members failed. (See attached).  Group is 12VDC_Power.

An attempt to DL members from an existing group from which I hadpreviously downloaded members but with > 5000 members works. (See attached). Group is 7x10Minilathe.

So I am thinking that:

1) If your group was setup originally to allow members to be visible then they probably still are.

2) You might have setup your group to not allow visibility.

3) YG! might be setting new groups by default to have members not visible.

4) (Just checking!) You're not an admin. Only admins can see full email addresses.

Cheers,

Wilson.

gfineman

I am an administrator of this 17 year old group and can see the member email addresses for every member.
Members are not allowed to hide their email addresses.
We do not think we have changed any setting recently (in the last year).

-Gabe

Wilson Logan

Hi Gabe,

Yeah... Yahoo have done "something".

We're not sure if its deliberate to prevent scraping by Groups.io but it certainly broke their importer.

We'll have a look at it.

Cheers,

Wilson.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk