News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

Q: Yahoo download timeouts and restrictions

Started by danb, July 08, 2014, 11:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danb

I wanted to get some feedback about how often people are encountering Yahoo restrictions.

How do you hit message limits with Yahoo?

Do you mainly hit message limits when downloading new groups?

Thanks.

Wilson Logan

Hi Dan,

My experience is that you get about 200 - 300 hits on Yahoo before it chucks you out. 

However, I have seen myself getting way more depending on what group I'm downloading.

I believe that Yahoo does have an IP based limit but that is modulated by an overall group download limit.

Groups which aren't getting hit allow many more requests than groups that were more popular.

That may no longer be the case but it used to be.

Also worth reading:

http://www.personalgroupware.com/smf/index.php?topic=65.0

and of course:

http://www.personalgroupware.com/smf/index.php?topic=17.0

Cheers,

Wilson.

GMac999

About once a week I get locked out due to the message download limit.  I'm in several groups that are popular and it seems to happen on the weekend when a lot more messages are posted.  Usually I've received around 380 messages from multiple groups before I get locked.

danb

Quote from: GMac999 on July 12, 2014, 02:57:13 PM
About once a week I get locked out due to the message download limit.  I'm in several groups that are popular and it seems to happen on the weekend when a lot more messages are posted.  Usually I've received around 380 messages from multiple groups before I get locked.

Ok thanks.  The cache server will help for groups with multiple PG4 users, but the first PG4 user that attempts to download all the messages would still encounter the lockout problem.

An additional solution this that would work in concert with the cache server would be to have PG4 automatically utilize pre-defined proxy servers. And auto-switch between the proxies periodically or if a lockout of the proxy occurs. 

Wilson Logan

I think proxies are a good idea but you'd need a bucket load. I got logged out tonight after about 10 minutes.

danb

Quote from: Wilson Logan on July 12, 2014, 10:08:45 PM
I think proxies are a good idea but you'd need a bucket load. I got logged out tonight after about 10 minutes.

Potentially, but it would be interesting to see how effective a few proxies would be.  And they would operate only after a user was locked out on their own IP.

Wilson Logan

People used to get round it in the olden days of modems by hanging up & redialling.

My IP is theoretically dynamic but has been the same for years. And I don't leave my dsl modem on 24/7. It goes off every night.

Cheers,

Wilson.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk