News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

Messages not downloading correctly.

Started by Manfred, June 29, 2005, 03:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manfred

OK, Whats up with this? When a message quotes another message only half the message gets saved. I reported this some time ago. Still not fixed. I'm losing data here !!! Can't be that hard to fix.

Here's some examples:

ttp://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ViragoTech/message/3154
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ViragoTech/message/3155
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ViragoTech/message/3156

Thanks, Manfred.

Wilson Logan

Hi Manfred,

It'll be to do with the parsing. We'll be looking for a specific string that indicates end of message. In a cut & paste situation that string is probably being pasted into the message body.

I'll ask the developer to look at when he's looking at the current Get Groups issue.

Cheers,

Wilson.

Manfred

Wilson, I hope you received my private email regarding this issue. It really needs to be put at the top of the "must fix que".

I'm missing data due to partial message downloads on many of my groups. This is a huge problem since users will never know this is happening unless they cross check with yahoo directly. (there is no error condition generated)

If I can help in any way to resolve this, please let me know.

A side effect of this is that the only way I can see to "refresh" an entire group is to delete it and start over once the fix is in. That creates another problem of eraseing PGO stored messages that may no longer be on the yahoo servers.

Thereby losing that data permanantly.

Regards, Manfred

Manfred

I just found an extreme example of what I am refering too. See the following post:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/BonnevilleOwnersClub/message/8469

In PGO The only thing received is:

Jeff,

That's it, the word "Jeff,"  The actual post is about 2 screens long.

Manfred

Wilson Logan

Hi Manfred,

Its certainly at the top of the list & will only be bumped by a format change.

It might be hard to pin down though. What we need to do is parse something that varies depending on how much of the message the user cuts & pastes. Hopefully it won't be as tricky as I think it might be.

Cheers,

Wilson.

Manfred

Can't be soon enough !! Thanks. Has anyone else brought this up, or is my theory that it's not noticed valid ?

Please get to this ASAP I just subscribed to another group (megacycle) and get tons of blank and partial messages. this is rendering PGO's search feature useless.

I think part of the fix will need to be comparing each message stored locally with the yahoo version to prevent throwing away local ones that are no longer on yahoo.

Did that make sense?

Wilson Logan

Hi Manfred,

I think the fix will be to the parser and then you'll need to reload your group. Getting the messages take 1000 times as long as updating the database so if you have to re-get them all you may as well just reload the database.

As it stands, PGO does not dispose of message which no longer exist on Yahoo.

Cheers,

Wilson.

Manfred

Heeeeelp !!   - Pleeeeese get this fixed !!!!

Doesn't anyone else notice this problem ???

Thank You :-) :-)

Wilson Logan

Hi Manfred,

Your suffering from a particular set of circumstances. Check your messages & you'll see that the problem messages are confined to one or two individuals doing cut & pastes of HTML mail.

Thats why relatively few people have this trouble.

As I've explained... there are issues with getting work done but I'll bend Alex's ear again.

Cheers,

Wilson.

Manfred

I believe this is a greater problem than you are observing or making this out to be. In looking over my groups I see this behaviour in every one of them.

Granted it is a specific set of circumstancs on the part of the message poster. (copy/paste or forward of prior content) But that happens all the time, there is nothing in yahoo or ones mail application to prevent it.

I truly think that other PGO users have not noticed it. Lets face it who takes the time to compare every PGO message with its original on Yahoo?

I hope you get your development resource issue taken care of soon. Perhaps a local college with students you could use as interns. Talk with the instructors. Real life programming it great course work.

Manfred

Another week gone by, just my reminder that this is a SERIOUS problem that undermines the basic purpose of PGO.

That being, - to accurately archive yahoo groups.

Manfred :-)

Wilson Logan

What can I say, you're absolutely right but at the moment there is an issue where some people can't get any messages or groups at all. Including me!!  

Its very freaky. I can't get anything from home but at the office I can get everything ?!?

Cheers,

Wilson.

L.D.

Yea u'r not the only one!!! I noticed this some months ago and I didn't even know about it either until I started looking at the messages one by one! I was so shocked that that had been going on. :o I reported this to Wilson, and I think he said I was the first one who noticed this problem!

Quote from: Manfred on July 14, 2005, 01:27:50 PM
Heeeeelp !!   - Pleeeeese get this fixed !!!!

Doesn't anyone else notice this problem ???

Thank You :-) :-)

Wilson Logan

OK, Stupid me... I'm using Skip Authorisation and I've cleared my browser cache. Duh...

Once I logged in using my browser again, all is sweetness & light.

Cheers,

Wilson.

Manfred

Wilson, I assume your last post refers to the home v. office problem. Great that it's fixed.

Can the topic of THIS tread now be addressed.

Pleeease, Beg, Beg, Whine

I see that someone else is complaining too!

Manfred

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk