News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

Can't log in "Either you have the wrong username & password"

Started by Wilson Logan, October 20, 2019, 12:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

casstk

One possible workaround is to get a VPN and change your region. We're testing Canada and it seems to be working. Yahoo may have made changes to their login pages that could be rolling out.

Wilson Logan

I believe that's exactly whats happening.

I use PIA   

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/download

Which one do you use?

Cheers,

Wilson.

Wilson Logan

Here's a recent email I was sent by a user :

To all who have difficulty (some since the night of the 5th of December) in logging into your groups via PG Offline offline reader:
(*NOTE*: Please upgrade the software from v4.0.897 to v4.0.902 within the software first).

To Wilson Logan: Thank you once again for developing this *terrific* utility!

I found that even after upgrading to v4.0.902 I still failed to connect getting Yahoo's completely bogus notice that I entered the 'wrong' username/password combo - OR - I likely had 2-factor identification enabled (neither of which is true).

As to your Personal Groupware blog (still waiting for your acceptance of: animatedgifman agmscans.6318@twc.com (or animatedgifman.1280@gmail.com ) so I can post to the blog, please.

I wished for ALL PG Offline users to know that I had terrific success overcoming this login failure by using a VPN (I use WindScribe which accords me ~50 GBs of bandwidth at high speeds for free) and logging in on their Canada EAST location. Note: Canada WEST failed to fix the problem as did every USA VPN IP# I tried, but as I said, Yahoo! servers seemed to really like the taste of Canada East. I've been able to resume downloads of all group data from 4 1/2 dozen groups I manage (nearly 1/3 of a million members will probably be quite happy and surprised in a week or two (or maybe longer if our efforts *here* are successful!) to find I can hook them up with their archives intact! :-)

Hopefully this 'workaround' will be of benefit to the Archive Warriors who seem 'stuck' at this point.

Here are my before/after upgrade of PG Offline and trying with and without both Canada WEST (and finally Canada EAST WindScribe VPN IP #'s).

Canada WEST

Thankfully, this is a (repeatable) success (connecting with Canada EAST VPN), as here is from earlier still:
Canada EAST

I do hope this information can help whoever is still trying desperately to salvage what we can. I have a ~1/3 of a million wishing me the best ...

--
Always with respect ...

Robert (Bob) Hare aka Animated GIF Man

Max Pre-Server

I'm sorry to say that it looks like I've been hit too. Cleared all cookies and cache, logged in and out, restarted the computer, updated to the newest version, even installed the VPN used by that guy in the email with various locations. Nothing.

The .htm file takes me to the standard login page, on top of my already-logged-in groups page.

I've still got quite a few groups left (not too large but a ton of them). Any chance this is something that can be fixed before the 14th?

Interestingly enough, the archives that have already downloaded work fine. No new ones will however.

Max Pre-Server

Well then...just came across this article. https://www.extremetech.com/internet/303208-verizon-bans-archivists-trying-to-save-yahoo-groups-data-from-deletion

Since PG Offline is technically an offline reader program, it shouldn't be blocked. But I bet it is, since Verizon has blocked all the other scripts. TOS breach indeed...not if it was requested by the group owners!

Wilson Logan

Nope... we just used a VPN to login to a Los Angeles IP address and it worked for us....

That was at 14:09 GMT.

Can you tell me.. are you still unable to login and if so.. where are you located exactly?

Cheers,

Wilson.

Max Pre-Server

Quote from: Wilson Logan on December 11, 2019, 03:21:51 PM
Nope... we just used a VPN to login to a Los Angeles IP address and it worked for us....

That was at 14:09 GMT.http://www.personalgroupware.com/smf/Themes/default/images/bbc/code.gif

Can you tell me.. are you still unable to login and if so.. where are you located exactly?

Cheers,

Wilson.

I am still unable to log in. I am located in northeastern Minnesota.

Wilson Logan

Try VPN'ing from a UK location.

Its still working here.

Cheers,

Wilson.

Thomas_1

I began to experience a similar issue at around 13:00 -8 GMT (Locale:  SF Bay Area).  At that time it appears that Yahoo Groups was down completely for a time.  While I was able to log into the Yahoo Groups website after that, I continued to receive the "Either you have the wrong username & password" error.

I successfully used the Windscribe Eastern Canada VPN later that evening.  I also tried using my local ISP / IP again and that was successful too. 

What I have noticed is that download speeds for messages is significantly slower - about 30 messages every 4 minutes instead of 30 messages every minute (as it was on 12/9 and 12/10).

ks1995

Hi,

I hope someone can help me. I opened PG Offline a couple of days ago only to find out I lost all my groups' messages and I had a lot. I couldn't find the file anywhere on my computer so I decided to start downloading the messages again. I was blocked after getting a few groups done.

I've read the messages here and tried to follow the suggestions but nothing is working. I tried a free VPN Windscribe but it didn't work. I am not tech-savvy so I might be missing something. I'm running out of time so any help would be appreciated.

Karen

Max Pre-Server

Quote from: Wilson Logan on December 11, 2019, 09:00:02 PM
Try VPN'ing from a UK location.

Its still working here.

Cheers,

Wilson.

Tried with a UK option. No luck.  :(

Wilson Logan

The "helpful" Yahoo changes have reached the UK.

We're working on it.

josehill

Has anyone been able to use PGO to download Yahoo Groups using an sbcglobal.net/ATT.net-based Yahoo account?

Years ago, Yahoo partnered with AT&T to provide email and other services to customers of AT&T and its subsidiaries. Consequently, I have an sbcglobal.net Yahoo ID that uses an AT&T passthrough portal for authentication, and I get the dreaded "incorrect password"/"disable two-factor authentication" message.

Unfortunately, there is no "disable two-factor authentication" or other option on that Yahoo account's options page. Passwords are managed through the MyATT.net portal.

(BTW, I'm able to download content from other groups I belong to via non-AT&T Yahoo accounts with no problem. I'm going to see if I can become a member of the groups that I've been accessing via AT&T using a regular Yahoo account, but it may be a long shot, as the moderators seem to be AWOL.)

Wilson Logan

Yahoo have reversed their change across the UK, EU and most of the USA.

If you're still stuck try VPN'ing to Canada West.

AFAIK, the AT&T thing is a show stopper.

If you have an sbcglobal or roadrunner account you can't use PGO.

I can see how even using a new gmail account won't work if there is no one in the group who can invite you.

If you still have contact email address for other group users your only option is to ask them to do the download for you.

Sorry!

Wilson.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk