News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

When?

Started by GB, February 06, 2015, 08:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GB

I purchased PG Offline more than 11 years ago.  In those days I wasted hours trying to install it every time I format a hard drive, or purchased a new hard drive, or a new computer.  I jumped through the hoops required sending and receiving messages for days until I could finally get it to work. However that was only until the next time I made a change or a new version of the utility arrived.  In the more recent era, since the new 'trial' policy for a program I purchased began, I found myself wasting even more time than I did previously, and I can't even get it to work at all now.  Of course when the new versions don't work I can't use the older versions which may have been almost stable, because the 'trials' have expired.

So when will the software be reliable and without an expiry so I am not constantly losing so much time trying to install and use it?

Patch

Quote from: GB on February 06, 2015, 08:27:36 AM
I purchased PG Offline more than 11 years ago.  .. a new version of the utility arrived.  ... I can't use the older versions .... constantly losing so much time...

The old versions do not work as yahoo does not want them to work. They have changed the interface on multiple occasions.
Your complaint really should be directed at Yahoo.

If PG Offline has provided you with a constantly updated versions of the program for 11 years then you have already received exceptional value for your once off purchase.

Wilson Logan

GB is correct...

Support for PGO has been patchy and... frankly... disgraceful.

It is a source of constant personal pain to me that PGO never became what it could & should have been.

The blame for this lies squarely with myself. I never liked subscription software and I always thought it was simply a way to gouge the customer.

What I did not know at the time was that Yahoo would make changes to their service on a near constant basis.

I had envisaged that once PGO was getting messages all we would have to do is add more & more features. What actually happened was that Yahoo made changes so often it became a constant battle to simply keep up with them.

To add insult to injury, Yahoo would roll out changes to limited geographic areas (meaning we oft times could not diagnose users issues) and then if we get eventually get to see the problem they frequently rolled the changes back!

From a maintenance standpoint, hellish simply does not describe it.

So, now I have software that needs constant maintenance, which users won't buy because its often broken and there's no new money to keep up with the constant revisions required.

Add to that, the limited funds available means that hiring developers of sufficient quality and enthusiasm was an uphill task.

The solution...

1) Engage a bright & enthusiastic developer

2) Pay for this via a subscription model

Point 1) has been achieved. I have hired a smart, young, keen developer called Ihor Hadzera. His goals & mine are aligned. We envisage a long & fruitful working relationship.

Point 2)... I never wanted to do this but its simply unworkable in any other manner. New users will automatically be on a subscription model of $10 per year.

Existing users will be invited to join the subscription program. It will not be compulsory.

I hope this new model will allow us to maintain PGO and add new features.

Best Regards,

Wilson Logan.

GB

Quote from: Wilson Logan on February 09, 2015, 11:45:01 AM
GB is correct...

Support for PGO has been patchy and... frankly... disgraceful.

It is a source of constant personal pain to me that PGO never became what it could & should have been.

The blame for this lies squarely with myself. I never liked subscription software and I always thought it was simply a way to gouge the customer.

What I did not know at the time was that Yahoo would make changes to their service on a near constant basis.

I had envisaged that once PGO was getting messages all we would have to do is add more & more features. What actually happened was that Yahoo made changes so often it became a constant battle to simply keep up with them.

To add insult to injury, Yahoo would roll out changes to limited geographic areas (meaning we oft times could not diagnose users issues) and then if we get eventually get to see the problem they frequently rolled the changes back!

From a maintenance standpoint, hellish simply does not describe it.

So, now I have software that needs constant maintenance, which users won't buy because its often broken and there's no new money to keep up with the constant revisions required.

Add to that, the limited funds available means that hiring developers of sufficient quality and enthusiasm was an uphill task.

The solution...

1) Engage a bright & enthusiastic developer

2) Pay for this via a subscription model

Point 1) has been achieved. I have hired a smart, young, keen developer called Ihor Hadzera. His goals & mine are aligned. We envisage a long & fruitful working relationship.

Point 2)... I never wanted to do this but its simply unworkable in any other manner. New users will automatically be on a subscription model of $10 per year.

Existing users will be invited to join the subscription program. It will not be compulsory.

I hope this new model will allow us to maintain PGO and add new features.

Best Regards,

Wilson Logan.

I sympathize, not only as your customer, but as a Yahoo user.  It is like Yahoo is trying to aggravate.  I have complained to them over the years about how, sometimes without warning, they keep changing every facet of 'membership' including the privacy policies and even the sign in.  My complaints have had no impact of course.  They can't just leave well enough alone.  They constantly need to be 'improving' to the user's detriment.

As a long time PG Offline user I won`t have a problem with voluntarily paying a reasonable yearly subscription.  If you recall I made a donation several years ago when you first proposed the model and asked for suggestions.  I will do so despite the fact I use the utility much much less than in the past.  Most of the groups I subscribe to are very quiet these days, because other forums like Twitter and Facebook etcetera have replaced them.  However, having said that, it is critical that I am able to access the program and the years of downloaded messages on my computer, even after the `trial` periods expire, and even if I discontinue my subscription or you decide to discontinue the software.

I've made this suggestion in the past and will do so again for the last time.  I think you should rename and rebrand your product and include the word Yahoo so shoppers can easily identify its purpose.

Wilson Logan

"However, having said that, it is critical that I am able to access the program and the years of downloaded messages on my computer, even after the `trial` periods expire, and even if I discontinue my subscription or you decide to discontinue the software.
"

Yes, I totally agree and it has always been my policy that users should still be able to read, export & search messages after any trial or subscription period has elapsed.

I don't believe in holding people's data hostage.

The old registration system was a gigantic PITA. It used the hard drive serial for reference and that was a mistake.

The second system depended on access to a rather flaky server which wouldn't have been that much of an issue if PGO didn't now & again 'forget' that you were registered.

I have spent a significant amount of money on the Enterprise Edition of a professional licence management system (Cryptolicence) and I have bought a support contract as well so if *anything* goes wrong with it we will get prompt action.

One of my friends who is a very senior CTO for a well respected IT security company recommended Cryptolicence. He tells me it is difficult to implement but bomb proof in operation and that's what I want.

"I've made this suggestion in the past and will do so again for the last time.  I think you should rename and rebrand your product and include the word Yahoo so shoppers can easily identify its purpose."

Do you know... I really didn't want to call it "Yahoo Group Downloader". Although being first to market, I could have.

BUT... you are absolutely correct. It would let users find the product. No question.

In fact, it was done by Guru with GroupFetch. I think he subsequently named it Yahoo downloader.

I'm not going to change the name now but.. I might very well do a cross branding exercise with effectively, the same app re-branded as 'Yahoo Group Downloader" or something equally descriptive.

BTW suggestions for a name gratefully accepted.

Cheers,

Wilson.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk