News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

Error Getting Groups List

Started by Bill Bradshaw, August 26, 2014, 06:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Bradshaw

I have uninstalled and reinstalled 817 a couple of times.  Here is a new problem I just encountered.  Will not give a groups list.  What version of .net are you using?  Maybe I need to try and find a way to uninstall and reinstall .net.
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska.

Bill Bradshaw

<Bill>

Bill Bradshaw

I am suppose to have a 12Mbps connection with my ISP and I am having problems (I should probably do a speed test to make sure they are not screwing me).  You may be loosing customers that have a slow connection because of connection failure.  I think the program should check to confirm a connection has been established to groups.google.com.  Until the program receives verification that the connection have been established anything that requires downloading should not start functioning.  Maybe a dialog box letting the user know the program is in the process of establishing the connection.  One issue you have is not all people will be logged on to the internet while reading their messages such as somebody like myself.
<Bill>

Bill Bradshaw

I had google on my mind when I should have been thinking groups.yahoo.com.
<Bill>

Wilson Logan

Maybe we need a 'retry connection [n] times' option in File--> Options--> Workflow.

Or possibly a "Wait for connection [ ] " option.

Cheers,

Wilson.

Bill Bradshaw

I had a heart to heart discussion with my ISP and them apparently screwing with me and now PGO seems to be working better.  Did not know about using the Start button so that will help with working on problems.

I think the idea of allowing the setting of a delay in seconds (probably about 20 for me) is good. 

In my research I decided because I do not stream the ISP's movies or play their online games they had assigned me a lower  priority and that was why I was getting bounced all over their network servers before I was connected to the internet.  Of course in their defense they stated people believe that but it was not true.  A couple of hours later when I tried PGO for some reason it started working.  Also my web browsing seems a little quicker.
<Bill>

Wilson Logan

Hi Bill,

Best thing to do is monitor the situation and get back to them if your connection performance starts to degrade again.

Cheers,

Wilson.

Bill Bradshaw

The problem is already back.  I have a feeling they have an algorithm that checks how people are using their system and automatically assigns them priorities.  I would have to complain everyday.  You already basically have the coding done to give us another entry box under the download options to set an initial delay.  Under the repeat option you already have an initial delay.  I just need an option to set an initial delay when first starting the program.
<Bill>

Wilson Logan

Bill,

PGO does not connect automatically unless you tell it to.

Set Refresh to manual in File--> Options--> Refresh Groups.

So, then when you start PGO it won't connect until you choose the Refresh button on the main page.

Cheers,

Wilson.

Bill Bradshaw

I always do manual connections.  When does PGO connect, when you start it or when you refresh?  If PGO tries to establish a connection when click the refresh button or list groups PGO is not allowing enough time for the connection to be made.
<Bill>

Wilson Logan

Well, its not so much establishing a connection. You should be connected when your computer starts.

Once your computer is started, start IE and go to the Google home page (or any home page).

If you can see the page in IE then you are connected.

Once you start PGO it just loads the messages tables, etc. It doesn't ever 'connect' to the internet. It assumes you are already connected.

What it does do is make requests to Yahoo. Now if Yahoo does not respond to the request in an appropriate time, PGO times out.

This can be either because Yahoo is slow passing the data to your IP or your IP is slow passing Yahoo's data to you.

Cheers,

Wilson.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk