News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

Copy/paste quirk

Started by wapfinator, August 12, 2009, 06:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wapfinator

Hi Wilson,
It is great to be downloading groups again :)

I'm having a certain issue doing copy/paste from PGO into another app such as a text editor, Word, etc.:

1. Any two words that are separated by a single line feed in PGO (and in the Yahoo message) end up being scrunched together as one word, in the paste.

2. Any double line feed is ignored. In the paste, you get one continuous paragraph instead of discrete paragraphs with double returns separating one from the next.

As an example, load this message into PGO:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/blat/message/11277

then copy/paste it into say Notepad. You'll see that

1. "go through" pastes as "gothrough"; "working fine" pastes as "workingfine" , etc.
2. It is all one continuous paragraph.

Does this always happen...yes I think so, at least I haven't personally done a paste where it didn't happen.

I'm using PGO 3.0.76.  Thanks.

Wilson Logan

Hi Debbie,

Yes, I see what you mean. This is a problem to do with the particular way that the message has been posted and how PGO deals with that.

Some HTML messages are posted within <pre> tags which means that they are pre formatted however PGO had an issue with line breaks in pre formatted messages and we had to diddle them a bit to display correctly.

We are re-examining that right now as its probably not the best way to handle it.

In the meantime you could just cuyt & paste into Wordpad or Word as these both seem to handle the text OK.

Cheers,

Wilson.

wapfinator

Hi Wilson
Thanks.

You were right!  There is NO problem with Word!  I misspoke on that...

I am now using Word as an intermediary. First I paste into Word, then copy from Word into the app where the pasting didn't come out right, and now it does. 

Also I have now found that this problem does NOT show up always, only for some messages. I see what you mean about preformatting, sort of. In that example message, <br> tags force lines to wrap, whereas in the "good" messages there is no such thing. 

Glad you're on top of this.... I just thought to correct my misspeaking, for the record.

Debby

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk