News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

Yahoo d/l limit

Started by JoeRoss, January 27, 2004, 02:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilson Logan

What does work is re-assigning your IP address. If you're on a dial-up simply drop the connection & reconnect. It also might work on DSL.

Cheers,

Wilson.

gavmac

It also might work on DSL.

It does providing you have a dynamic address ;)

Gavin

Carolsea

Hi everybody - I'm so thrilled to have found PGO so I can save my yahoogroups messages, but I'm finding the same problem with the download limit thing on yahoo.  I am on a high speed Cable connection.

I have a group with 18000+ messages that I started d/ling last night, got the first 1466 or so, then it skipped to 5006 and went to 9301.  Now I continued to get the invalid page format message, and I'm totall locked out of the messages on this group on yahoo - I can't read a message there at all, though I can go to other areas of the yahoogroup site.  When I try to open a message, it says my download limit has been reached and to try later.  

Well, I've waited different amounts of time, including 7-8 hours, and nothing has changed.  Any ideas?  Do I need to try to d/l from a dial-up connection and use the changing-ISP # trick?

I hope yahoo isn't locked up permanently, as I really need to have access to those messages!!   :-\

Help?

Thanks
Carolsea

Wilson Logan

Hi Carolsea,

You won't be locked out forever. Every invalid page counts as a hit on the Yahoo servers. Too many (200 - 300) and they lock you out. Typically 2 - 3 hours but if you've hammered their server with hundreds of requests then it could be as much as 24 hours. You can avoid this by setting the "Stop after receiving n Invalid pages" field in the Workflow tab.

http://www.pgoffline.com/images/workflow.jpg

I set mine to stop after 10 pages. That way I can manually set the start point of my download to skip past the Invalid Pages. To set the "Stop after receiving n Invalid pages" field look in File--> Options--> Workflow. To set the start point for the download double click the groupname in the groups list & choose the Group Settings tab. You can set the start point there.

Please read this post for whats going on vis-a-vis the Invalid Pages:

http://pgoffline.com/forum/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=296;start=msg1420#msg1420

Cheers,

Wilson.

The Colonel

Greetings,

So i'm a total newb, but i've recently become enamored while reading this forum due to my outrage with yahoo groups and thier fascist download limits. As much as i'm loving everything i'm reading, i'm not sure if any of this pertains to my problem; which brings me to this post... So i've been trying to download files from the files sections of my yahoo groups and continuously get an error message due to the daily download limit being exceeded. Is this the same or even similar problem to what you guys are talking about here, and if so, what is the solution. Thanks for your time.
-TS

ginahoy

TS,
A daily file download limit!?  I've never encountered that one before... but I don't do a lot of file downloading.  Perhaps others have?

Are you able to access group messages after getting the error?  This is sorta off-topic since pgo doesn't do files, but I imagine others reading this list would be interested.  Does it actually mention a daily download limit?  If possible, please copy and paste the text of the Yahoo error message.  

I think Yahoo implemented the message download limits to prevent denial of service attacks.  The error message is more obscure... nothing about download limits.  Also, the lockout lasts a few hours or less, not a day (and appears to be based on IP address, not Yahoo ID).  

The solution is to do fewer file downloads, or wait until the lockout ends. Or, if you can, change IP addresses (or use a different ISP).  That should keep you going.  PGO has some tricks to get around the message d/l limit, but these don't apply to file downloads.

David

Wilson Logan

Hi Colonel,

What David says sums its up. All I can add is that I have personally been a member of Yahoo groups with heavy file sharing and the limit imposed is on the group, not the member. Hence when the limit is reached, the whole group is locked rather than the individual member.
This means that there's very little (if anything) we can do as users to get round this limit.

What did happen was that the group owners set up multiple groups e.g.

Filesharing
Filesharing-1
Filesharing-2
Filesharing-3

etc. to share the load over many groups.

But thats up to the groups owners to manage & not us users.

Cheers,

Wilson.

DaveMucha

Hi guys,

So.... what is the current limit people are getting on downloads ?

1,000 , ??  10,000 ??  more ? less ?

Dave

Wilson Logan

Hi Dave,

With caching on I can still get 80 - 120 thousand messages in one go.

Cheers,

Wilson.

DaveMucha

so, all the talk about limits is in the 10's of thousands ?

Seems if someone wants to get started, they can download a zipped forum that needs to be updated, skip the first 80,000 post download and then add the most recent 6,000 posts and be up to date.

Dave

Wilson Logan

Absolutely.  Its the only way to fly.

Cheers,

Wilson.

daryy

I just update every few days and I've never had that problem.Get the AC parts like AC Compressor, AC Condenser, AC Evaporator and more parts ... Lexus AC Compressor | Mercedes AC Compressor | Mitsubishi AC Compressor ...
We offers FREE SHIPPING & One-Year Lower Price Guaranteed on Ferrari 308 Parts.Eagle Medallion Automotive Parts, Buy high quality after market auto body parts at wholesale price. Including Head Lamps, Tail Lights, Mirrors, Bumpers

We provide Genuine toyota parts and Toyota accessories at discount prices.

Wilson Logan

Well, until recently I was just getting about 6000 before getting locked out but about two weeks ago I tried a big download and was back to getting 20,000 - 30,000 at a go.

Cheers,

Wilson.

lilhlfpint

Ah, ha.  This is exactly the problem I'm experiencing this morning.

Thank you for the good advice!

Wilson Logan

OK, no problem. Just wait a few hours and try again. The following is advice I give new users:

The Message Caching download can be controlled from: 

File--> Options--> Download   

The maximum number of messages which can be cached is 30.

The Yahoo download limit is about 200 to 300 messages. By downloading 30 messages at a time, you can download 6,000 to 9,000 messages without being locked out by Yahoo. On occasions I have downloaded over 20,000 without problems but if you want a safe default, go with 4000 - 5000 at a time.

If you're doing an overnight/unattended download which you know to be greater than 9000 messages I suggest you set your Workflow options (File--> Options --> Workflow tab) as attached. The reasons for this are:

1) If you do get locked out simply by the sheer number of messages downloaded, setting the "on resume" option to 120 mins will retry to start your download once every 2 hours.

2) When you're doing a refresh or initial download of multiple groups & you get a group you can't read e.g because Yahoo has changed the group format or many messages are deleted, PGO tries to get the first of 30 messages. It then assumes that the message has been deleted & then tries to get the next message *in sequence* not the next 30th message. This happens until the end of the group is reached or you get locked out (after about 200 of these errors). If you set the Workflow option so that you stop after receiving 10 invalid messages you can at least avoid being locked out. In future you can set that Group to be skipped during Refreshes. 

Try checking the downloads page. Your groups may be available as archive file downloads.

Cheers,

Wilson.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk