News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

Yahoo d/l limit

Started by JoeRoss, January 27, 2004, 02:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilson Logan

> also interesting...when I would be shut out on previous versions, I could not access yahoo at all.  Nowadays, I can access yahoo manually through my browser, even though PGO reports a yahoo lock.

This shouldn't happen. If you get told by PGO that you're locked out then you shouldn;t be able to access Yahoo.

Please check your Workflow option isn't still set. This feature is redundant as PGO now recognises the difference between failed messages & a lock-out situation.

Cheers,

Wilson.

ginahoy

Bruce,
Please post the specific message you get when you are locked out.

bruce

Whew....  its working so well, I thought I was going to run out of messages to download before I got the error again  :D

the specific errror is ....

5/28/2004 10:43:04 PM >  Error : You were locked by yahoo.

bruce

Wilson Logan

Bruce,

You're getting

>  Error : You were locked by yahoo.

and you can still surf Yahoo ?  What happens if you resume your download?  You can automatically resume after a user definable delay (a new option in Workflow).

Cheers,

Wilson.

bruce

I did not have the resume option turned on.... and since I usually shut down at night.....i never messed with it.  just started fresh the next day.  ill turn it on and see what happens.  but now i will have to find another large group to dl.   grin.  its so fast ive run out of messages.

still strange that it only locks out pg offline.  when i come back the next day, pgo can get back in.  shrug.  im not complaining.

gmayhew

I just thought I'd add a another data point. I'm using the workflow option, downloading 250 messages, then waiting 10 minutes. I'm also caching 30 messages at a time. I have not been locked while using this method, although I do run into other errors, every few hours.

My connection is pretty fast, 1.5Mbps, which probably helps.

Regards,
George

Wilson Logan

Come on guys... you know we should be discussing this in the other group. I'll send you both invites.

Cheers,

Wilson.

Betrock

Newbie here.  Need some simple guidance.  I've read everything(well, most) in this topic, and am now completely bewildered!

My needs are small.  I own/moderate 1 little Group on Yahoo.  It is a fairly new, but fast growing group.

Background info:
-Total of 374 messages (actual count much lower, as many are deleted regularily).  For the deleted ones I got the 'Invalid Page Format'. No problem.
-The group is closely moderated by 3 Moderators.  I want to download messages say, every 2 hours, so that I have a record of them before they are deleted.  Our members are 'warned' about invalid posts, and I need a record of this.

Cable Modem
Win98SE
Locked out at #361.
Locked out of Yahoo access

Questions:
1) Roughly, how long will lock-out of Yahoo site last?

2) File: Options:
  a) Refresh Groups Tab- since I only need the one group, but need info updated often, what would be a suggested setting?

b) Download Tab: What would be a setting that would not get me locked out by Yahoo?  Since my # of messages are small, but frequent, I need a very 'safe' estimate - not the mega-max # of messages downloadable in a millisecond.

c) Workflow Tab: Basically same question a 2)c.

d) Mail Tab:  minor point- since I have no use for this what so ever, is ther any way to stop the pop-up warnings about SMTP not filled in, etc?

Thank you so much for any help you might give.  My needs are so small compared to ya'll who are trying to download thousands of messages, that I almost feel guilty asking!

Thanks,
Betrock

Wilson Logan

1) Roughly, how long will lock-out of Yahoo site last?

>>>> Depends on how long you continue to hammer the site. If you stop as soon as you're locked out... about 2 hours.

2) File: Options:
 a) Refresh Groups Tab- since I only need the one group, but need info updated often, what would be a suggested setting?

>>>> Refresh on Startup. Leave other boxes unchecked. Or Refresh Periodically.. experiment with the period.

b) Download Tab: What would be a setting that would not get me locked out by Yahoo?  Since my # of messages are small, but frequent, I need a very 'safe' estimate - not the mega-max # of messages downloadable in a millisecond.

>>>> Enable download speed limit. Repeat, download 30 then wait 60.

c) Workflow Tab: Basically same question a 2)c.

>>>> On lockout resume after 120 min.

d) Mail Tab:  minor point- since I have no use for this what so ever, is ther any way to stop the pop-up warnings about SMTP not filled in, etc?

>>>> Put in anything... smtp.invalid.com

Cheers,

Wilson.

Betrock

Wilson-
Thank you so much for your prompt and succinct reply.  Among everything else I didn't grasp, it never dawned on me to just enter a fake email!
Thanks again,
Betrock

Brett

I don't know if yahoo changed something or the latest version fixed something, but I just joined a new group and downloaded over 17,000 messages at 250-300 messages per minute with no pauses or delays.  It just kept going!  I never got locked out.  It was going for about 1.5 hours.  Very cool!  If anyone needs the BMWe39 group I've got it.

Wilson Logan

Hi Brett,

It seems to vary. I've been kicked after 12,000 and have DL'd 80,000 the next day !?!

Cheers,

Wilson.

nutcracker

Just come across your site after doing a search on the error 999 hope you don't mind me  updating you all here?
I have many websies right through yahoo geocities in the plus and business section I live here in the UK &  have unlimited download with a added 175 mb storage space for the added updated.

This is what I got back from yahoo

Thank you for writing to Yahoo! GeoCities.

As I understand, you are inquiring about receiving a 999 error when
visiting your website.  We were able to view your page at: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If the problem has not been resolved, you may want to try clearing your
cache or reloading your page.

To Reload your page:
View your page again and press the "Shift" button down on your keyboard
at the same time clicking on the Reload/Refresh button on your browser.

The Error 999 code is a result of pirated IP addresses, and the blockage
has been instituted as an Abuse safeguard.
In these instances, Yahoo!
has intentionally blocked these IP addresses. Yahoo! monitors all network activity and when they notice a significantly high amount of
activity coming from a specific IP address or a proxy, Yahoo! blocks it.
The downfall to this is that most pirated IP addresses belong to small
business or home users. When Yahoo! blocks the IP address to safeguard
against getting hit, the original owners of the IP addresses also get  ??? blocked.

Please do not hesitate to reply if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Yahoo! Customer Care  ??? :-\ :'(

Wilson Logan

Thanks for that interesting perspective.

Cheers,

Wilson.

JRouche

Quote from: nutcracker on January 09, 2005, 09:24:59 AM

To Reload your page:
View your page again and press the "Shift" button down on your keyboard
at the same time clicking on the Reload/Refresh button on your browser.

I was (atually still am) locked out with a 999 code and the shift reload did not work, bummer. JRouche

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk