News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

Missing Message following "Message xxxxx does not exist."

Started by GNL, February 19, 2015, 08:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GNL

When downloading I periodically see messages stating that messages do not exist.  No big surprise here, the group moderator probably deleted some spam etc. My problem is that when I look at the list of downloaded messages, the message number that does not exist plus one isn't there.  This could easily be that message also doesn't exist and was not displayed as not existing or it just wasn't downloaded.  I can't say if this is always the case but the five or six times I checked it has always occurred.

Wilson Logan

So, you're saying for example, if message 165 is genuinely missing in Yahoo then message 165 is missing from PGO *plus* message 166?

Cheers,

Wilson.

GNL

Yes.  In your example 165 isn't downloaded because it doesn't exist on the server and the next message that is downloaded is 167.  Message 166 isn't reported as missing on the server thus expected to be downloaded but it isn't.  Se where is it?

Wilson Logan

That's interesting... I saw something similar but I thought it was because I had imported messages.

I will test this out and see if I can replicate it.

BTW is this happening for you on any public groups I can access?

Cheers,

Wilson.

GNL

To be honest I wasn't looking at the group name when I saw it.  The only reason I know it happened on multiple groups is that I remember changing groups and looking to see if it happened again.  Another, probably unimportant, piece of information is that I was downloading the groups manually.  [Select a group and click start.]

While I have you another thing I ran across is that; after clicking 'Refresh', the 'Stop' button is not active making it impossible to stop or interrupt the download.  Well it does stop when the application is closed which is what I had to do.  There are some other anomalies but they only happen with 'other than normal' use.

Wilson Logan

Hi Greg,

The Stop option is fixed in r822:

http://www.personalgroupware.com/groupmanager/pg-offline-4-0-822.zip

Cheers,

Wilson.

GNL

Additional Information:
The problem is not that a message wasn't downloaded but rather that a message that doesn't exist isn't logged as not existing.

I went back through the logs to find an instance of this happening then went to the group using the web browser.  Sure enough the message that didn't download isn't available.

Public group: [Veg-Recipes]

There are numerous instances of single messages (one in a row) that don't exist and for obvious reasons also not downloaded.  However there is no mention of them in the not as not existing.  The only way to spot this is by watching the download messages that periodically will include 26 or 27 messages when it should always be 25 messages.

Wilson Logan

Hi Greg,

Ah... right. That's true.

We used to have a feature that you could run on any group that would show you all the missing messages and would then let you choose to attempt to reload those messages.

This was because for some reason (that we never discovered) either PGO or Yahoo would skip downloading or serving messages.

Then it got fixed (or Yahoo fixed themselves)  & we dropped the feature.

I'm not sure of the worth of reporting missing messages during download as there's nothing to be done about it if they genuinely are missing. It would be different if PGO was dropping messages.

But I'm open to suggestions.

Cheers,

Wilson.

Wilson Logan

Do you know.. I think PGO does flag up missing messages:

21:16:59 [nexstar] Downloaded and adding messages '71200' through '71225'.
21:17:06 [nexstar] Downloaded and adding messages '71226' through '71255'.
21:17:06 [nexstar] Message 71239 does not exist.
21:17:06 [nexstar] Message 71240 does not exist.
21:17:07 [nexstar] Message 71250 does not exist.
21:17:13 [nexstar] Downloaded and adding messages '71256' through '71281'.
21:17:19 [nexstar] Downloaded and adding messages '71282' through '71306'.

Cheers,

Wilson.

GNL

Sort of.  What I am seeing is if there is only a single message that does not exist it is not logged as not available.  When there are multiple messages that do not exist the last message that does not exist is not logged.
Using your log as an example if you look at your downloaded messages; message 71241 and 71251 will not be present.  If you attempt to read the messages on groups.yahoo.com you will find that both 71241 and 71251 do not exist.

Wilson Logan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk