News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

v. 855: PGO cannot connect to the internet. Please check your connection and /or

Started by martin_lists, December 07, 2015, 06:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin_lists

Any known issues with Windows 10?  I've recently upgraded to both W10 and the latest version of PGO (855), and am getting the error msg

7:46:18 AM [Siddeley] Logging in with account
translateltd
7:46:19 AM PGO cannot connect to the internet. Please check your connection and /or firewall settings.

Wilson Logan

I've not had anyone complain about Win10 but it might be worth checking firewall type settings.

Make sure PGO and/or PhantomJS are allowed through your firewall.

Cheers,

Wilson.

martin_lists

Thanks, Wilson, PhantomJS is allowed.  No sign of PGO on the list of apps at all, though.

martin_lists

I've added PGO as another allowed app and restarted the program. Still the same error.  It seems to be trying every 2 seconds, which looks unusual.

Wilson Logan

Is there anything in Windows 10 Event Viewer for "PG Offline4" or "PhantomJS" ?

http://www.digitalmastersmag.com/magazine/2015/11/tip-of-the-day-how-to-find-crash-logs-on-windows-10/

Thanks,

Wilson.

martin_lists

No, nothing under either of those names that I can find in any of the event windows.  It's still trying to log in every 2 seconds.  I'll try another reboot in the meantime and report back.

martin_lists

No change after a reboot.  Still trying every 2 secs.

Curious to know what the two different "PhantomJS" references are for - is the second one valid or can it be deleted?

martin_lists

Just for the record, I've installed the same version of PGO on my wife's PC, still running Win7, and it's happily downloading all the group messages, so it sounds like something has changed with the Win10 setup ... just not sure what!

Wilson Logan

Hi Martin,

I've got two entries too in Win7.   Not sure why there's two actually.

One says PhantomJS and the other says PhantomJS.exe

In File--> Options --> Miscellaneous there are two files you can set:

"Log events to file"

"Log traffic to file"

Check both of their checkboxes.

If you create two text files 1) events-file.txt   and  2) traffic-file.txt  in any folder and then set the path of the two log files to one of the files you have created then we can see what PGO thinks it is getting from the internet.

Cheers,

Wilson.

Wilson Logan

So one wonders... when did PGO stop working and what exactly has Win10 added/changed about itself recently?

This looks a bit culprity

http://www.windows10update.com/2015/12/more-windows-10-patches-go-live/

martin_lists

I've done the log files as you suggest just now.  After a few minutes, the traffic file is empty - so no contact at all; and the events file just contains the error msg we see on-screen at roughly 2-second intervals:

translateltd

11:35:12 AM PGO cannot connect to the internet. Please check your connection and /or firewall settings.

11:35:12 AM [Siddeley] Logging in with account

translateltd

11:35:14 AM PGO cannot connect to the internet. Please check your connection and /or firewall settings.

11:35:14 AM [Siddeley] Logging in with account

translateltd

11:35:16 AM PGO cannot connect to the internet. Please check your connection and /or firewall settings.

11:35:16 AM [Siddeley] Logging in with account

etc.

martin_lists

Here's a different snapshot - of the Firewall settings this time, just in case this adds anything.  I've cut-and-pasted the headings for good measure.

Wilson Logan

Hi Martin,

Have you got any anti-virus programs installed?

Cheers,

Wilson.

Wilson Logan

I Googled "Cannot connect to internet Windows 10".

Apparently Chrome was hit by this.

One solution used by a Chrome user was

1. Right click on chrome icon and run "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
2. Use the first option
3. Then do "Test Program" and test that it is working
4. Press Next and then save the settings

Might be worth running "Troubleshoot Compatibility" on the PGO icon.

Another suggested solution was:

1. Type cmd.exe on the search bar.

2. Right click on the cmd.exe then click "Run as Administrator"

3. Type "netsh winsock reset". Press enter.

4. The computer will prompt for a restart.

I restarted and my Google Chrome can finally connect!

If you try 'winsock reset', remember to create a system restore point first!

Cheers,

Wilson.

martin_lists

Quote from: Wilson Logan on December 09, 2015, 09:59:06 AM
Hi Martin,

Have you got any anti-virus programs installed?

Cheers,

Wilson.

Only Windows Defender in its latest incarnation.  PGO is the only program that seems unable to connect - there are no problems with my Internet connection otherwise.  I wondered whether the "winsock" fix you mentioned was more of a generic.  We were planning to move my wife's computer to W10 over the weekend but I may hold off for the moment until we get PGO access sorted!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk