News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

Sharing databases

Started by diatribe, July 06, 2006, 07:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diatribe

Hi

I have a paid version of PG Offline and have downloaded all the messages from our Yahoo group over a 5 year history.  

Now, some other members may be interested in purchasing the software as well so they can read the old archive.

Is it possible for me to send them the Microsoft Acess file and for them to be able to read the messages as per the PG interface?

If so, how do we do this?

Wilson Logan

Hi,

If you go to File--> Export to Folder you can choose which groups to export and you can export the group(s) in chunks. The archives are exported as .mdb files.
As a guide, a 10,000 messages mdb will compress to a zip file of 10Mb.

Cheers,

Wilson Logan.

diatribe

Thanks Wilson.

I think I will just copy the database to DVD-R since it's a large file. I will then send to different members.

So, the other members, after buying your software, should be able to import the archive from the disc - correct?

Wilson Logan

Hi,

Yes, they can import from the DVD. There may be an issue opening the archive as Access always wants to open files Read/Write.

You can get round this by first copying the archive to your hard disc and then importing that.

Cheers,

Wilson.

gtslabs

Wilson, the data is in the form of HTML for the messages. How do I view the correct format in Access reports? All I see is the text and html tags.

Or is there a way to upload the file back to a new yahoo group?
Steve

Wilson Logan

You use PG Offline to view the data. Try it. I think you'll like it!

My favourite is to sort on subject and then highlight all the messages of the same subject, right click and choose "View as Digest".

Cheers,

Wilson.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk