News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

An idea.

Started by wundrbee, December 15, 2008, 02:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wundrbee

Wilson,

MSAccess only gives us 2GB for our databases. Less than that since PGO stops saving after DB is 90% full. MSAccess DB's are so inflated that it is impossible to maintain 1 DB for all groups. Categorizing is great, but having separate DB's by category doesn't always work. So here's my idea. I don't know if it's possible or not, but what about having PGO create a seperate DB for each group OR allow PGO to open more than one DB at a time, and have PGO act like a "front end" that allows for updating all DB's or all open DB's? Have it apply all the updates, favorite status, notes or categories, etc to the individual DB and so on. Maybe even toss in an option to compress databases on close - i.e. zip, rar or whatever, and decompress when the program opens. I don't know if the compression idea could be applied to selected groups or not, but it would be neat.

I realize that this idea may not even be feasible, and if so might mean a complete overhaul of PGO, but it might be away to manage the size of the separate DBs and still keep track of everything without having to epen, close, zip and unzipe DB's in the process, and let PGO be used as a library for yahoo groups messages that you mentioned in another post.

Tammi... Dreaming big, as usual:)

Wilson Logan

Hi Tammi,

I think it might be possible to have PGO keep more than one DB open at any time. What might be harder is to search across multiple databases. Thats why I've suggested to people to group your groups together by interest so all the motorcycling groups in one DB and all the cooking groups in another, etc.

Cheers,

Wilson. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk