News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

Version 4.0.840

Started by dshields, July 02, 2015, 10:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dshields

Great program, I hope that you can offer a paid version soon.

My only issue so far is when downloading messages sometimes whenever the parentheses symbol (")or (') is used in a message it shows up as garble 
example:

This 2ââ,¬Â diameter

Should be
This 2" diameter

Wilson Logan

Hi,

You need to choose the appropriate encoding for the groups you are viewing.

Please look in View--> Encoding.

Currently encoding is global but we will be changing it soon so that it can be specified per group (in case e.g. you read groups in Russian & English).

I think in your case you need UTF-8 encoding.

Cheers,

Wilson.

stephstevens

Hi Wilson,

I encountered the same problem.

The group's an English language group.

I just changed to the UTF-8 coding. 

It did fix the issue.

Thanks.

~~ Stephanie

Wilson Logan

Hi Stephanie,

I have asked the developer, for future versions, to default the encoding to UTF-8 if system language = EN-gb or EN-us  (ie user is using base language = English).

Cheers,

Wilson.

dshields

That Works for the " and '
Now the only odd thing I am seeing is a small box and if I hover the mouse over it, it Pops up qreply

Wilson Logan

If you see characters displaying as boxes it may be due to a fonts setting in Windows Control Panel.

Just as a test, can you try disabling "Hide fonts based on language settings" in Windows?

Control Panel --> All Control Panel Items --> Fonts --> Font settings

Please see attached photo.

Cheers,

Wilson.

Wilson Logan

Ok... don't bother with that.

I found an example of the squares showning up in my own group & I could test it.

Changing the Font settings didn't work but.. changing the encoding in PGO to "system default" did work.

Which isn't a cure because now the apostrophes will be back to displaying as " ââ,¬Â ".

Still.. all information is useful. I will carry on trying to find a solution.

Cheers,

Wilson.

dshields

No Problem, I am glad I could help, Thanks for all your hard work

Wilson Logan

Ach well.. nil desperandum.

We always find a solution eventually...

Cheers,

Wilson.

stephstevens

Hi Wilson,

I wasn't having any problem refreshing my group's messages the past few days.  Today, however, a strange thing happened when I tried it. This is what I got ...

Error. The PhantomJS.exe file does not exist in the current directory or in a directory on the PATH environment variable. The driver can be downloaded at http://phantomjs.org/download.html.

... my PC froze up as well.

On top of that, when I tried to open my old, original version of PGO, which I had been able to do previously, I had this box pop up ...

Windows Installer

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'PGOffline.msi' in the box below.

>snip<

I should mention that -- I just checked now -- my Norton AntiVirus yesterday quarantined a number of files associated with PGO.

Do you have any idea what may have happened with that?

Thanks.

~~ Stephanie

Wilson Logan

Hi Stephanie,

I think that Norton is a huge PITA.

Apparently its not just my files it doesn't like:

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=38952

That web page shows the procedure to restore a file excluded by Norton and how to exempt it from further scans.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific because I cannot replicate it myself.

If you need to identify any files that you think are from PGO and Norton thinks are a threat then please send me a screenshot of the Norton Quarantine window.

Cheers,

Wilson.

Wilson Logan

Here are two steps (images attached) to recover and exclude items from Norton.

stephstevens

Hi Wilson,

Thanks.

NAV quarantined quite a few items the other day.

There are only a couple that specifically appear to reference PGO (pg-offline-4-0-800-572-setup.msi).  I thought I'd restore those and see what happens with PGO.

I'll update the results here later.

~~ Stephanie

stephstevens

Hi Wilson,

Good news, bad news so far ...

I restored a number of the items quarantined by NAV, and the PGO 4.0.840 Trial is functioning again. :)

But, I've still had no luck recovering my old PGO 3.0.  :(

BTW, I ran into a capacity limit with that PGO back just before Yahoo Neo arrived.  I was backing up 2 Yahoo groups.  I had to ditch one group (which I'm now backing up with 4.0) so I could continue backing up the other (which I had on the 3.0).  Is there still a capacity limit now? I was wondering, if I can't recover the 3.0, if I could back up both groups with the 4.0.

Thanks.

~~ Stephanie

Wilson Logan

Hi Stephanie,

If you need files for V3 you could attempt to re-install 3-0-084 (I have attached the installer).

You should be able to import your V3 (.mdb) database files into V4 using File--> Import from Folder

In the Import window at the far bottom right there is a file type filter dropdown which is set by default to .pg4

You will need to select .mdb to see your old V3 database files.

The limit for the new .db3 database is 17 Terabytes.  I doubt Yahoo has 17 Terabytes of data over all groups.

As limits go, its not much of a limit.

I recommend you put all your groups in one database then you can search across groups simultaneously.

Cheers,

Wilson.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk