News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

Norton Antivirus 2011 & PGOffline 3.0.084

Started by Bill Bradshaw, January 16, 2011, 09:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Bradshaw

I am having a problem with Norton Antivirus 2011 (also had it with 2010) and PGOffline (3.0.084) running my CPU up to 100%.  I have uninstalled PGO and reinstalled it in hopes it might sove the problem but it did not.  Running WinXP Pro SP3 on a very old machine with a 800 Mhz Pentium III and 512 megs of memory.  I do have a modern laptop running Windows 7 Pro but I do not want to load PGOffline on it.

The only program that conflicts with NA is PGOffline.  When I start PGO ccsvshst.exe (Symantec Service Framework) and csrss.exe (Client Server Runtine) go wild with the CPU.  Even shutting down PGO does not settle these two programs back down.  If I let the computer run without rebooting sooner or later I get a BSOD (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA).  Is anybody using NA and PGO together successfully and if you had to make some adjustments what were they?

<Bill>
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska.

Wilson Logan

Hi Bill,

Just a bit of casual Googling reveals that ccsvshst.exe appears to be problematic for a great many people.

I've had a look at a few suggested fixes and this one (below) seems the most relevant/likely. PG Offline makes uses of many components of IE.

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/problems-with-ccsvchstexe/167291.html

" The main issue with ccSvchst is that it works with the Phishing filter in IExplorer. If you have IE7.0 (could be other versions but I have not tested those)when a page loads it is scanned by the filter. Many normal pages scan in a few seconds, ones with forms and such may take a minute or two while others can take constant scaning as ccSvchst never sees the end of the page thus it continues to scan and runs the cpu usage to 100% and keeps it there. To stop this you have to stop the NAV Phishing filter. Go to TOOLS,INTERNET OPTIONS,ADVANCED,and select the RESET button at the bottom. This will reset all cookies and such but more important to you is it removes the Phishing filter from IE. reload IE and it should run normally. This looks to leave ccSvcHst.exe alone and able to service the other NAV applications in the 360 program. It is my hope that they patch the mess, but for now you have a temp fix. Oh yes, forget the part of the ADVANCED section that should allow you to turn off the filter. This looks to work for one ot two boots if at all as the repair feature turns it back on. If you get an engine Error the filter is off but from my testing it will not stay off for long if it ever goes off at all. "

Cheers,

Wilson.

Bill Bradshaw

Wilson, forget the above, it was not the problem.  I ran a couple of file monitors (systems internals) and I kept seeing regsvr32 trying to run and finally my brain kicked in and it dawned on me that maybe PGO was not being able to complete its install.  So I checked my regsvr32.exe file and it was from 1996.  So I copied over to windows\system32 the latest regsvr32 file (12k in size instead of 24k) and reinstalled .084 and low and behold it is now working.  This also allowed me to finally install Malwarebytes's on this computer.

<Bill>
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska.

Wilson Logan

Nicely spotted Bill ! 

It's great when you get to fix a long standing issue.

Cheers,

Wilson.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk