News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

Added new group, now won't retrieve any messages

Started by t2000kw, April 02, 2009, 04:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t2000kw

I see that PGO had downloaded some messages earlier today but this evening I added another group to my PGO groups, then went to download messages. It won't. I had problems getting PGO to close, even after clicking the stop icon, it told to to click the stop icon (already did, but did it again to humor it). It then wold close, but there was a process still running, pgoffline25.exe, so I had to kill it using Vista's task manager.

Earlier, I found 4 PGO icons in my task tray and had to reboot Vista to get rid of them.

It appears that PGO is not cleaning itself out of memory upon exit. If I click on the icon in the task tray, it will then disappear. It's like it needs help to close the program, taking at lest 5 clicks--one to click stop, one to click close (x), another to confirm that I need to click stop first, another to click close (x), the last to click on the PGO icon in the task tray to get it out of memory.

I don't believe this is how it normally works, and wonder if there's any known program conflicts that might apply to my situation.The only new program that I had installed I set so that it doesn't load at startup now and that didn't help.

I do not have any parts of windows 7 on my system.

Donald

morestuff

I have been seeing the same issues for several days and I have not added any groups.

Running version 3.0.67 under Windows 2000.

Steve

Wilson Logan

Hi,

Yahoo have made format changes. We are creating a patch for it now.

Cheers,

Wilson.

t2000kw

Horayyyyy!

Thanks. I figured with all the recent Yahoo changes that something had changed on their end. Same happens with my autobidder (Auction Magic) for eBay. Sometimes eBay makes a change (they never announce it) and my program fails to place a bid.

Wilson Logan

Yep, thats about the size of it.

This is a bad one so I'm afraid I can't say at the moment when it will be fixed.

Cheers,

Wilson.

t2000kw

Yahoo seems to be still tweaking things in their groups. They may yet make another change with how attachments are handled, allowing them to be both stored on site and also allow them to come through with the email message. I don't know if this will affect PGO, but I thought I'd mention it just in case. That's been discussed in the big 4 moderator groups. Also (and I don't think this would affect PGO), they promised to make polls available in groups which allow email and IP addresses to be hidden.

But I think once they iron out the attachments thing (decide if they're going to allow a fourth option for groups), they'll be done for a while. They got a lot of people upset with all of the changes they made when they didn't work right, broke other features, etc.

Donald

Wilson Logan

Hi Donald,

PGO was originally written to handle attachments within Yahoo and the code remains in PGO. If Yahoo switch attachments back on, PGO may just be able to deal with them as before. But what are the odds of that? They'll undoubtedly muck about with the format again.

Doh!

Wilson.

mlivsey

Well, you know we're in for fun as Yahoo latest project is to refactor the group code. In simple terms they're trying to re-write everything to standardize it, simplify future maintenance, get rid of junk code and streamline performance. That's quite a challenge for a development team that still can't implement photo folders after removing them five years ago. So far they've done the photos section and the messages section's the worst of the bunch. Sorry Wilson. You drew the short straw on which part of a Yahoo group to support.

However, you have loyal fans who are willing to ride it out as we know we'll be back in business with this great product.

Mike.

Wilson Logan

Thanks Mike,

I'm not happy to learn about Yahoo's extensive changes but I can tell you that after this experience we'll be far better placed to deal with change.

Cheers,

Wilson.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk