News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

glitch with hide > ??

Started by ginahoy, February 15, 2005, 02:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ginahoy

Hi Wilson,
I just learned about the "hide >" feature. Upon trying it for this first time, I noticed a couple of issues:

1) the "hide >" button is inactive until you select a message. Since this is a global setting for all messages in a given group, it seems more logical to make the button active when the group is first selected (before clicking on an individual message). Of course, there's no reason not to let it remain active after selecting a message.

2) due to yahoo's stupid line-wrap logic, most quoted text ends up with some lines that wrap (which are not preceded by the > symbol). So when using the "hide >" feature, you often end up with a bunch of stray words (those that wrapped in the quoted text). This really looks weird, and could be confusing to others if someone were to quote a message with this nonsense.

I imagine this would be very difficult to handle, but one never knows. I thought it should at least be documented.

David

Wilson Logan

Hi David,

In short, yes it is hard to handle because users use different conventions when replying. I myself sometimes reply prefixing my new comments with >>>> which, you can see, would be killed by the hide feature. The other problem is Yahoo wordwrap vs how you post your message using your mail client.

The Hide feature does the best it can with what it has. Thanks however for bringing this up & getting it written down in the forum.

Cheers,

Wilson.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk