News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

User Name and PW stored in DB

Started by Len, February 02, 2004, 04:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

I opened the DB in MS Access, and the User Name and PWord are stored within. Granted, they are encrypted, but they are there.
When sharing a DB with someone else, should I just write some garbage characters into these fields so that when it is imported my Yahoo Password is not available?

Thanks;
Len

Wilson Logan

Len,

The password is there so that if you delete the group & decide to re-instate it from the archive you don't need to enter login details for it.

The password is encoded with 128 bit strong encryption. If they can hack that then we have a great deal more to worry about than our Yahoo passwords :)

You can of course choose to overwrite it, if you wish. Its not used by PG Offline when it imports the archive to a different user. I dont know what would happen if you overwrite it & then re-import it yourself! Nothing exciting I expect. Let me know if you try it.

Cheers,

Wilson.

blaxius

I have a problem with this wilson. I am new to forum but not PGO. The pass and user are stored in the DB. What if I change the Yahoo passwd? I changed the master passwd but in the DB's I had to change one by one. By changing the Masterpasswd don't I change the passwords of the groups. Till I invent this. I have been getting invalid page error, which is not in the FAQ. What should I do to change all the pwds
Thank you very much
Kahraman

Wilson Logan

Hi,

To change the password for each group you will need to highlight each group in turn and choose Groups--> Group Settings --> Group Logon tab and then change the username and password.

Sadly there is no easier way to do this.

Cheers,

Wilson.

casstk

I have received questions from moderators

1. Are our passwords stored in plain text in the db3 files?
2. Are they stored in our pg4 files (where someone exports their one Group to share with another member to view messages)

Wilson Logan

I have received questions from moderators

1. Are our passwords stored in plain text in the db3 files?

>>> Yes.   You NEVER share a db3 file.

2. Are they stored in our pg4 files (where someone exports their one Group to share with another member to view messages)

>>>> No. The purpose of PG4 files is the safe sharing of data.

Use PG4 to share data. Not DB3.

Cheers,

Wilson.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk