News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

Login failed... workaround.

Started by Wilson Logan, September 15, 2014, 11:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xdownloader1

819 started getting "login failed" again.  I have 'skip authorization' as unchecked, and group is a private group.  No more message downloading.  Any help?

martin_lists

Add my name to those also experiencing the problem today :-)  So does this suggest a change at the Yahoo end, if nothing has happened to the PGO program itself?

Martin
NZ

Wilson Logan

Martin,

Yes. Its Yahoo.

What I don't get is 'Skip Authorisation'. It should be bomb proof.

You login to Yahoo, PGO uses the cached login data. No matter what Yahoo have done to the login screen, 'Skip Authorisation' should work.

Currently PGO can login itself (vulnerable to Yahoo changes) or use 'Skip Authorisation' (invulnerable to Yahoo changes?).

Other potential avenues include:

1) Have the user login via the actual current Yahoo login screen popped up by PGO in a web control.

2) Use the Yahoo SDK. I always discounted the SDK because it doesn't do groups but it does do logins...

Cheers,

Wilson.

gfineman

Here is what I get for the 7 groups that I download:
1. If skip authorisation is unchecked, the log-in fails for every group - over and over again.
2. If skip authorisation is checked (and I have logged into Yahoo Groups) I get:

• For groups that need a password, the statement "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" for each group of 20 messages that it tries to download.
  • For groups without a password, very slow downloading.
  • The entire process stops after the first two or three groups.
-Gabe Fineman
-Washington, DC

martin_lists

Quote from: Wilson Logan on December 11, 2014, 10:35:23 AM

2) Use the Yahoo SDK. I always discounted the SDK because it doesn't do groups but it does do logins...

You've lost me with SDK.  Can you clarify pse?

Wilson Logan

The SDK is a developer interface for Yahoo. The advantage is that once published, they can't muck about with the interface i.e. it would be stable.

The down side is that to use it the application needs a specific identifying key. This means that Yahoo can then track everyone using PGO and if they don't like it, they can rescind the key.

So maybe not such a good idea.

martin_lists

Thanks.  So basically we can't use PGO again for the time being.  The errors I get match those reported by Gabe Fineman above.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk