News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

Other group portals

Started by yJan, March 20, 2011, 10:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yJan

Hello, I have a "rather" easy wish.

Could you make it possible, to download from other newsgroups too?
The most important newsgroup that I can think of is of course: http://groups.google.com/

That would expand the functionality ( which is very good by the way ;) ) tremendously.

Thank you very much!

Wilson Logan

Hi,

Yes, its a good idea but its not that easy. It might even be easier to write another program to do Google groups.

I did look at Google groups a while ago. The reason its not simple is that Yahoo is organised like a list. One message follows the other. Google groups are organised by thread. This becomes an issue when you want to get new messages. You don't just get the last message, you have to re-read every existing thread to see if there has been a new message added.

It would make updating your message list a very long process.

I'm not saying it'll never happen, there may be a work around.

Cheers,

Wilson.

nightstitcher

I'm also interested in the ability to download other t ypes of groups, including Google, Listservs, and various forum-style groups. There would probably need to be some sort of configuration utility, and for some groups, users might need to do some homework to getting all the settings right - but if doable, it would be worth it.

Wilson Logan

There is a version of PGO which downloads VBulletin & phpBB groups.

It does work but we never got it quite finished.

I may add this functionality into the new PGO.

I will have to liase with the developer (not yet chosen) on how hard this will be.

Cheers,

Wilson.

GB

Quote from: nightstitcher on September 01, 2011, 07:00:27 AM
I'm also interested in the ability to download other t ypes of groups, including Google, Listservs, and various forum-style groups. There would probably need to be some sort of configuration utility, and for some groups, users might need to do some homework to getting all the settings right - but if doable, it would be worth it.

It would be great if PG Offline worked with the lists here;
http://www.lsoft.se/

My wish for you Wilson is that your software becomes much more popular, because it is really a great utility.  However I think that will only happen if you rename (rebrand) it with a name that reflects its purpose, so when a person does a search it will pop up front and center.

Wilson Logan

I'm open to suggestions.

Have you anything in mind?

Cheers,

Wilson.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk