News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

Groups IO question

Started by Basil, July 30, 2017, 11:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basil

A few pessimistic souls have insisted / voted to move some Yahoo groups I am a member of to Groups IO and I am wondering if PG Offline will ever support doing a similar job with Groups IO databases in the future? Thanks for an excellent and well supported piece of software!

Chris Wilson.

Wilson Logan

Hi Chris,

Short answer... yes.

I'm not that familiar with Groups.io internal structure.

Do they permit / facilitate the export of messages?

If so I think it wouldn't be much of a job to write an import module that would import a groups.io export of messages.

Going into groups.io and retrieving the messages would be another proposition entirely.

Cheers,

Wilson.

LeftCoastDude

Hi Wilson,

Has any progress been made on this topic?  I bought PG Offline when I was interested in downloading a group that was on Yahoo! Groups (it worked great with downloading that Group's contents - thanks!) but has since migrated to Groups.io, and I have since joined another organization that also uses Groups.io.

Wilson Logan

I have no plans to download data from groups.io at the moment.

To justify the development effort I'd need to see a lot more demand.

txpigeon

I've been on Groups.io for about 5 years now (having left YG in 2013.)  Improvements are constantly being made, including an app in development.  Having said that, I don't believe there's a need for Wilson to create/adapt any programming.  For group owners there's an option under the Admin > Settings tab to Export Group Data, including:
Group Info
Member List
Member Notices
Files
Events
Databases
Chats
Wikis
Activity Log
Hashtags
It creates a ZIP file and notifies you when the download is ready, usually within 10 minutes, but often sooner, depending on how much information there is.

Duane (former PGOffline user)

martin_lists

I've had a look around Groups.io and see they require Premium membership now if you want to import a group from Yahoogroups - $110 p.a. isn't unmanageable but what you get in terms of storage space isn't huge compared to Yahoo.  Interested in learning about other options members have opted for, for comparison.

Martin
NZ

txpigeon

QuoteInterested in learning about other options members have opted for, for comparison.

You only need to pay for the transfer if you want everything to be automatic.  If you're willing to spend the time, you can invite people to the new group using your members list from another site.  You can also download all the files, photos, etc, then upload them to the new group.  The biggest obstacle to going this way is that "ownership" of all items uploaded is assigned to the person that uploads them.  There IS a way to assign ownership of photos to other members, but not files (yet?).

For many of the possible questions folks will have, you can read through the Wiki at https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/home  (Disclosure: I'm a moderator on that group.)  You can also read the entire group archive at https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/topics since they're public.

Duane
PS, I'm going to hang around for awhile in case I can help anyone.  It might be better for someone to start a new topic "Transferring YG! to Groups.io" for that.

Wilson Logan

Do you get the message archive transferred for free?

txpigeon

QuoteDo you get the message archive transferred for free?

It was free until February of this year.  Before that it required a month of premium, $10, for more than 1000 members.  Now transferring a group, or any portion thereof, requires payment of a year of premium service, $110.  As one member put it, that's the price of procrastination. ;>)

Duane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk