News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

"PG Offline cannot log you into Yahoo at the moment."

Started by David Halfpenny, April 24, 2016, 01:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Halfpenny

Hi Guys,

I'm new here, keen to get started and buy a PGO Licence.

I've got PGO downloaded, installed and running, yet all I can get so far is this error message:

Additional sign-in information is being requested by Yahoo.
Please close PG offline and sign-in to Yahoo using your browser.
Once you have successfully entered the additional information requested by Yahoo you can restart PG Offline.

I'm using a Vista PC and Chrome, which already is signed-in to Yahoo with the exact YahooID! I've scanned around the Yahoo site and found nothing asking me for information.

I do have two-step verification active - they send access codes to my cellphone - but nothing has arrived on that, or by email.

Any clues please?  David, England

Wilson Logan

PG Offline looks (to Yahoo) like a sign in from a different browser.

What version are you running?

Yahoo recently changed the login screen.  If you have a version before r863, it will definitely not work.

http://www.personalgroupware.com/groupmanager/pg-offline-4-0-863.zip

Cheers,

Wilson.

David Halfpenny

Thanks, Wilson.

Yes I am definitely running PGO 4.0.863 (TRIAL)

I've now turned off 2-step verification, and now my Groups are Listed.

Thanks,

David

Wilson Logan

Hi David,

Any more questions, feel free to call me on 07711 026653.

Cheers,

Wilson.

mboers

I have installed PG Offline 4.0.871 on Windows 10. I can happily logon to the Yahoo newsgroups with IE11 and FF50.
I managed to download all messages from a Yahoo newsgroup, including pictures, links, attachments, etc.
But when I try to login again I keep getting the error message "Login failed. Either you have the wrong username & password OR Yahoo is requesting that you update your current password. Please login to Yahoo groups with your browser to see if Yahoo are requesting that you update your password."

But occassionally I get the message "Downloading completed." and "Receiving messages for all groups.", without any new messages being shown in PG Offline, even though I know that there are new messages. I do see texts from several Yahoo groops logged in the Traffic log, so there is some communication between Yahoo and PG Offline going on.

It seems that PG Offline is only capable to login once in a while for a short time and is then kicked out again.

Is anybody else experiencing the same? And what should I do about it?

Wilson Logan

Hi,

Yahoo has changed something (looks like on Friday).

I think the fix will be easy and I'm sure we'd have got it fixed this weekend had it not been Anton (the developer) 40th birthday.

I'm sure we'll have  a fix by Tuesday.

Cheers,

Wilson.

mboers

Happy Birthday, Anton. In spite of popular believe, life gets only easier after 40!
And I'm glad that my problem was easy to diagnose and will be easy to fix. I am definitely pleasantly surprised by your turn-around time.

Which leaves me to wonder: Why does Yahoo make these changes and are we to expect more of them?
Is it a deliberate strategy to frustrate third party software add-on developers, or is this just an unfortunate side effect of their regular business operations?

Michaël

Wilson Logan

Hi Michaël,

Its just Yahoo being Yahoo.

You should have been here before NEO.

Yahoo would make changes nearly every day. PG Offline has had 360 odd releases in 14 years.

About one every 2 weeks.

At one point we were patching it every 3 days.

Cheers,

Wilson.

mboers

I have just downloaded and installed build 872 and I am able to logon to Yahoo and download messages again.
Thanks for the fix.

Michaël

Wilson Logan

Hi Michaël,

No problem. Any time!

Cheers,

Wilson.

Karen

Hi, I'm a brand new user. I couldn't get anything to work at first, but read through lots of these posts, followed the recommendations and got 700 of 38000 message from 1998-9  downloaded. But I can't seem to get going again. I am getting this again:
'Message downloading error: Yahoo servers appear to be offline or your IP has been temporarily locked out.
6:22:33 PM Downloading completed."

I've run a message group for 20 years, a large part on egroups/yahoogroups. It's time to end it and move on, and I want to keep an archive of what I've done. So I will only need to do this once. I really appreciate the effort to create the software. I'm on the free trial, but will pay if I can get this to work.

(If anyone's become an expert at this, and could make the archive easily and just send it, I would gladly do something kind, like donate a bit to your charity of choice.)

Best,

Karen

Wilson Logan

Hi Karen,

Getting locked out after 700 messages seems a little harsh.

You can usually get about 10k before you get locked.

Give me the URL and I'll download your messages.

You can email the URL to me at info@personalgroupware.com

Cheers,

Wilson.

Karen

Wilson, I've just written back. Thank you again for offering such great software and help with it!

Wilson Logan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk