News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

more on Yahoo download limits

Started by ginahoy, March 09, 2004, 08:04:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ginahoy

Quote from: Wilson Logan on February 03, 2004, 01:12:36 AM
I've often wondered about the seeming variability in how many messages people could download.
Download quotas are usually set in terms of bandwidth so the limit could very well be something like 2400k.

Hi, just joined.
I too have gotten the 999 invalid page error, but I don't have pgoffline (yet) and had no clue it had anything to do with activity limits! I was assuming the system was down cuz it always came back up shortly. Now I FINALLY know what's going on!!!  See my story, below.

A few quick points, first:

1) I usually browse with IE6, though I have AOL BYOA for email (I no longer use AOL for ISP). I discovered that when I can't get in with IE, I can ALWAYS get in with AOL 7.

2) I own a copy of DU Meter, so it would be very easy (I think) to tell if the limit is related to number of kB/MB downloaded and if so, how much (after I start using pgoffline, that is... will keep you posted)

3) this just started happening to me this year. The "problem" seemed to last about 20 minutes in the beginning, but I've noticed it takes longer now (didn't think there was any reason to time it!). This suggests they've been monkeying with the time-outs and/or limits.

== background ==
I've had the 999 error probably a two to five times a week since it began a couple of months ago. Before I discovered the AOL trick, I went back and forth with Yahoo several different times and they said they could never duplicate the problem and suggested I let them know if it persists. Of course, when I let them know it was continuing to happen, they just said the same thing all over.  No one mentioned a capacity limit!!! (It's possible the support crew doesn't know?)

I finally called my brother and asked him to try to get in when I couldn't. He said he could. So I figure it's got something to do with my browser's security / privacy settings (on second thought, why would it later start working... without me doing anything).

I finally discovered someone else had the same problem when I came across a post in computercops forum. No one there had a clue.

I spend a lot of time in my groups, but I don't think I've ever sat there and read 150 messages in one session, and none of my groups allow attachments. So why would I be getting kicked?! Of course, now ya got me wondering if I'm reading more than I imagined (whoops!).

I look forward to start using your product!

David Butler

Wilson Logan

David,

Thanks for the very informative post. Very interesting about AOL 7... I must try that.

Cheers,

Wilson.

ginahoy

It could be that Yahoo is checking hits per IP. Even though I don't use AOL as my ISP anymore, when I log on via BYOA and use the AOL software, I assume I am reaching the Internet through their system, thus masking my true IP address...

To be honest, I have no idea how AOL handles this, but I know I've been shut out of some speed test sites when using AOL browser due to exceeding limit (even though I hadn't used the site before), so it seems it could cut both ways. How all this works under the hood is way out of my league (but I'm an excellent observer!)

I have downloaded your s/w, so I should be able to test the speed limits in both environoments (IE and AOL). I'm hoping I can get twice the pleasure. I'll let you know.

David

Wilson Logan

I'm looking forward to the results of your testing !

Cheers,

Wilson.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk