News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

Order of Groups other than Alpha.

Started by Brad, March 05, 2004, 01:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad

When you do a refresh, the download sequence is alphabetical.  I would like to be able to reorder the groups.  Here's why:

I have 10 groups, but am slowly downloading (at 300/hr) one in the middle.  I still have 9000 messages to go on the middle group.  If I set the program to refresh every hour, it will catch the top groups, and then spend the remaining time downloading the new group and never refresh the bottom groups.

I would like to reorder the download sequence so it would keep old groups current, and then use any remaining time to work on the new group.

Hope I was able to adequately explain what I'd like to see.

Brad

Wilson Logan

Brad,

Yes, I know what you mean. I'll think of a better way to do this but at the moment, what I do is set the 'Start download from message #' field in Group Settings --> Download Settings to be the same as the latest message number. Then I do my refresh & then I go back & set the 'Start download from message #' to something more sensible (say final message - 1000) and then do Start.

As I say, I'll think of something better.

Cheers,

Wilson.

Bill Bradshaw

I do not want to test this but what happens if you start a download from a message number that is already in the database (table)?  Do you end up with duplicate messages or does the program check for duplicates?  By your statement "to be the same as the latest message number" I would assume PG Offline will not download duplicate messages (based on message number?).
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska.

Wilson Logan

PGO will let you download the same message twice. Nothing happens though, it just overwrites the old message.

So, sorry, I should have said, last message number + 1.

Maybe we could add a 'Skip' checkbox to the download settings which would allow you to skip that group during a refresh.

Combined with a user specified 'Download order' number in the download settings would let you download groups in any order.

Cheers,

Wilson.

Brad

Wilson,

Looks like that would be the answer to my problems.

Brad

Bill Bradshaw

This is a way to fill in missing messages that are summarized by the check database integrity.  I remember somebody asking about how to fill in missing messages.  By setting the message numbers for the group to the missing message number and then downloading the group I was able to fill in the missing messages.  
<Bill>

Brad

Hi Bill,

That wasn't me but I agree that having the ability to generate a "selection list" of message numbers would be helpful when you have a huge group with a hundred or so missing messages.

Manual works (as you described), but automatic would be easier.

Brad

Wilson Logan

I agree & we're working on it.

Cheers,

Wilson.

Bill Bradshaw

Had something happen at Yahoo while refreshing all of my message groups.  Finished out by selected each remaining group and then receiving messages for that group.  How hard would it be, while you are working on the initial posters request, to modify the program allow us to select groups that we want to refresh (ctrl click, etc.) by highlighting from the groups list and then perform a right click to select an option Refresh Selected Groups messages?
<Bill>

Wilson Logan

Bill,

Interesting feature. I'll ask the developer whats involved.

Cheers,

Wilson.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk