News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

Attachments and pg_MAIL_-offline? LONG

Started by Curious, January 29, 2004, 11:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curious

Hello, new guy here...

Last week I found PG-Offline to archive a group with 20,000 msgs as we are moving to a phpBB site. I've already read about the d/l limit problem and am anticipating the next release. In the meantime, I'm writing a script to grab a small amount-wait x minutes-then get the next batch.

Great app!

Anyway, on the topic of attachments, I've noticed so far that I haven't gotten a single one, and I believe this is because of yahoo's recent policy change regarding the storage of attachments. It will pass them on to email, but they get stripped from the messages before they go into the webpage.

My question is, did they also remove all previously posted attachments? If so, then why not remove PG-offline's ability to d/l them?

For you guys that use this program regularly, do you subscribe to any groups which allow attachments (to be passed thru email only)? If so, are you, or have you switched back to reading from a mail account to see them?

Also, if I had known about this app when it first came out, perhaps I wouldn't have 22mb's in my yahoo mail folder from group emails I want to keep. Unfortunately I would like to be able to archive my mail folder instead of paying for POP services, however all of the apps to do so have the same d/l limit problem.

The perfect solution for me would be if PG-offline (with d/l limit function) could archive yahoo mail, and do so regularly, just like it does for groups. That way, I have an easy way to clean up my mailbox AND here's the killer part:

!!!...then we can all see attachments from the groups we subscribe to!!!!

Wilson, any plans to do a mail version? Is it feasible?

Sorry for my 1st post to be so long!
-George

Brett

I use a program called Pop peeper that is just like PG Offline, but for mail accounts.  I have many e-mail accounts and this will check them all and store the messages/synchronize.  Works great on Yahoo, except the Reply functionality is poor.

Check it out.

http://www.poppeeper.com/

Wilson Logan

George,

Yahoo deleted all the attachments. If you used PGO to archive your group before the Yahoo cutoff, all the attachments will be there & you can export the groups & attachments. If you didn't DL your group before the cutoff you need to find someone who did !

Regarding email... I find PGO easier to use than email for Yahoo groups so I can't say I'll be adding the functionality of saving in mbx format. The Poppeeper thing Brett mentioned seems to have that functionality if you desire it.

It has always been my intention to add attachment stripping from Outlook & Outlook Express. The problem is that the emailed messages have no indication of message number.  I've recently figured a way round this & this feature will be implemented soon. Probably in the next 2 months.

Cheers,

Wilson.

Curious

Thanks for the reply's. Unfortunately, I'm trying to avoid going through outlook/outlook express, because I was dumb a while back and had all of my messages go directly to a yahoo mail account. If I want to get them off of there I have to purchase POP support from them, or use one of the extractor tools.

Theres a couple of those online ones, but they have the same problem where after you download 500k to a meg you get booted out of yahoo for like 24 hours. And you can't set begin msg#/end msg# so it would take almost a month for me to get them AND I would have to do alot of painfull folder management.

On a brighter note, I have my script working, but I need to slow it down still as I've been booted from groups for the past 18 hours. One downfall is I couldn't figure out a way to stop the script once you get booted, so it coninues to pound the server.

If anyone wants the Iolo macro magic script and the 2 files needed to increment the end message counter I can put them somewhere, but you'll have to know how to manually register an activex dll.

Wilson Logan

Version 2.0.160 is now available. It has functionality which allows you to do 'download, wait, repeat' to avoid the Yahoo download limit.

http://www.personalgroupware.com/groupmanager/pgpatch20160.exe

? The new functionality is in File--> Options--> Download. The initial download is set at (I think) 150 and the wait at 15 mins.? Testing would suggest that a download of 300 & a wait of 60 mins works well.

Cheers,

Wilson.

Curious

Darn it! You are too quick! I didn't even get a chance to full test my script!  ;D Just kidding, good job Wilson!! I'll give it a shot now.

BTW, I got booted with 75msgs/10min, so I think a nice long delay is key. Although my friend who is working on the second 10k messages was having good luck with 150/10 by hand, but when he gets booted it only takes 2-3 hrs to get back in... I get booted easier AND it takes 14-24 hours before I can try again.

-George

Wilson Logan

George,

Mail me privately & I'll help you with your download.

Cheers,

Wilson.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk