News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

search function

Started by wapfinator, May 08, 2013, 08:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wapfinator

Hi Wilson,
First, am I correct that the search function isn't yet working in the beta? (I'm on v4r709)

Second, in v4 will we be able to tag favorites in the search results, and have them remain tagged in the main database?  If so, that would be excellent. In v3 the only way I can accomplish the permanent tagging is to have two instances of PGOffline open, one to pull up the search results, and another to display the main database so I can place tags on the desired messages by hand.  Could v3 have a way to do this in one step that I've somehow missed? If so, I'll blush...
Thank you!

Wilson Logan

Hi,

Search is now working. Tag is now working. Enjoy!

Cheers,

Wilson.

http://www.personalgroupware.com/groupmanager/pg-offline-4-r747-setup.zip

wapfinator

Wilson: This is great. Thank you, thank you!  Sorry for the delay getting back here...

I love that you can now tag a message in search results and have the tag stay in the database. 

One thing though, to get the full message view, I've had to quit the program and re-open it.  In v3 to get the full view back, you click the group in the left panel; however, in so doing, the search results are lost if you've not specifically saved them.  Instead of reinstating it that way, it seems to me an improvement in v4 would be a toggle between both views, say, via a "Window" menu in the menu bar along the top, reading as:

File View Group Messages Window Help

You'd select "Window" and it would list the views to choose from.

Would there be constraints on the number of search result views that could be listed there?  If that's too big a can of worms, just the two views, "search results" and "full" would be good. When quitting the program, the user might be prompted to erase or save search results, if still open. 

Best wishes,
Deb.

Wilson Logan

Hi Debs,

To get back to full view, click on any other group & then back to the group you want to see.

You can do that with the Search window still open. When you click on another group the Search window will be minimised but you can easily get it back.

Cheers,

Wilson.

wapfinator

Hi Wilson,

> the Search window will be minimised but you can easily get it back

How do I get it back?

I hope I've used the right terminology. In other words, while viewing the list of all messages in a group, I want to get back to some search results I previously did in that group (during the same session, of course).  You say they're minimized, but I can't see where, either in v3 or v4 beta.

(I didn't find this in the Help.)

Thanks...
Deb

Wilson Logan

Hi Debs,

Please look at the example photos.

In "search1.jpg" I am searching hobbicastcoffee_lounge.

In "search2.jpg" I click on Gingerymachines in the group list. The search window is minimized.

In "search3.jpg" I click back on hobbicastcoffee_lounge thereby restoring its message list.

In "search4.jpg" I mouse over the minimized PG Offline icon on the taskbar.

In "search5.jpg" I click on the search window from  the taskbar and it is reinstated.

Does that help?

Cheers,

Wilson.

wapfinator

Hi Wilson. Thanks for the detailed explanation. When I say 'search results' I don't mean the search window where you enter the search criteria, but the actual results of the search, that is, the smaller subset of messages that is returned as a result.  These results do not seem to be retained when you click away from them. To get the results back, you have to re-do the search by bringing back the search window (which indeed IS minimized, so at least you haven't lost your search criteria). 

Is it possible to program it in v4 so the search results appear in a secondary window that you can toggle with the main window?

Thanks for your help.

Wilson Logan

OK, I see what you mean.

Why do you need it in a second window?

I'm not being funny, I just need to know exactly what it is you want to do so that I can specify it correctly to the developers without missing something out.

Cheers,

Wilson.

wapfinator

Hi Wilson:  To explain more about what I'm after, I'm going to make some screenshots of a program I find useful, that does searches in the way that I'm talking about; however, in the last few days I've been bogged down with work. Thanks for your patience.

Wilson Logan

Hi Debs,

I'm away all next week. Take your time.

Cheers,

Wilson.

wapfinator

Hi Wilson, Here are the promised screenshots after a hectic couple of months, sorry for the big delay. You're no doubt busy dealing with "Neo" now, but I'll propose this anyway, hoping you'll still be able to consider it for v4, at some point. 

This uses the program InfoRapid, found at http://www.inforapid.com. It is the older version 3.1f.

Here, I'm doing a search in a sample file, EULA.doc for Microsoft Windows Installer.

1.   In the first screen, other searches have already been done (4 tabs). Focus is on the first tab: search results for "end-user|end user".

2.   Now I browse through the other tabs, which is easy to do. Example: I go to search results for "software".

3.   Now I want to make a new search, for "eula", so I set it up.

4.   Here are the search results for "eula" in a new tab.

Because EULA.doc is a Word document, this is different from how searching in PGO would be. But the general idea is, i hope, clear--to have multiple search results side by side in tabs. 

--
EDITED TO REMOVE: I just simplified this request and removed anything about saving search results (in case you read the earlier version of this message). 

It is the multiple search results viewable side by side in tabs that I'm after.. forget anything more complicated...

By the way, maybe I didn't see it before or maybe you have just improved it in this last iteration of v4, but the saving and loading of search parameters is quite smooth now, so I can quickly toggle among results, sort of simulating what I want to do with the tabs.  That was too awkward to accomplish in v3.
Best wishes,
Deb

Wilson Logan

Hi Debs,

That all looks good but this is a search of a single document (analogous to a single message in YG!).

Are you proposing this functionality to allow multiple open searches of a single message or groups of messages?

I see no problems either way, I just want to know how you see it working,

Cheers,

Wilson.

wapfinator

Hi Wilson,

Ah, your message crossed with my re-re-edited message. Well, no problem, your question is pertinent either way.

I was thinking of this as applied to a whole yahoo group (i.e. groups of messages) or possibly to multiple yahoo groups at a time, but at least to one group.  As for applying to one message at a time, I hadn't thought of that. That could be useful too, though I probably (personally) wouldn't miss if it were not to be incorporated that way.

Best wishes,
Deb

Wilson Logan

Hi Debs,

OK. I see where you're coming from.

Cheers,

Wilson.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk