download 'files' and 'photos' folders

Started by monte, March 25, 2004, 05:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monte

that ought to keep 'the developer' busy. ;D

Monte

Wilson Logan

Monte,

I'll ask him about it. We didn't include it initially as there are many other standalone products to do this but, as PGO becomes more mature & feature rich, this is something we should think about.

Currently we're working on 2.0.172 which will contain:

The ability to have separate databases.
The ability to read messages in a full screen one at a time.
Show number of hits after a search is performed.

Cheers,

Wilson.

DaveMucha

I too would like to download photos  and files, but am not aware of other programs that do that.

Since they are not related to the posts directly, it would not have to be the same group or even the same part of the program.

Dave

nightstitcher

Another vote for this feature - it's so tedious to do this individually via Yahoo, and since storage space there is so limited, group-owners are forced to delete older material to make room, so it would be nice to have an easy way to maintain my own archives of this info as well.

Wilson Logan

I haven't used this but I think some people have used it successfully:

http://www.groupfetch.com/

Cheers,

Wilson.

wundrbee

I hope you don't mind another "me too", on this one. I've tried a few of the others, most really stink. although Yahoo Groups Downloader was pretty good. The only problem that I had with that program was that I had to manually create folders for each group to download into.

I use a program in Outlook that strips the attachments using outlooks folder structure + user defined parameters.  I current have outlook setup to filter messages into folders with the group name. I use attachment sniffer to extract the attachments using outlook's folder structure, and I set up the filenames to include the subject and the attachment name. This is great for groups that have a lot of attachments, especially homeschool lists that send out worksheets in a sequencial order.

What would be ideal is for PGO to incorporate the downlaod photo album and files feature, and have something similar to what attachment sniffer does and have  the files download into a default or user defined folder that has subfolders with the group name and then the same file and filename structure on yahoo groups.

Since the files and photos section would use a lot of megabytes it would not be practical to store them in the database, BUT PGO could possibly have a subfolder structure set up something like this

Default download folder --> Databases
Default download folder --> Databases --> Attachments
Default download folder --> Databases --> Reports
Default download folder --> Databases --> Files
Default download folder --> Databases --> Photos

And in dreaming WAY ahead of the game here....
Maybe later make it possible to zip a database and corresponding group files, reports, attachments, and photos in one zip file.

Of course these are all in the "Nice to Have" category... Maybe we should let alex figure out what to do about Yahoo's Yahooligans tinkering with their settings. We can't do anything until yahoo stops yafoolin around.

Tammi

monte

Quote from: DaveMucha on July 27, 2005, 07:30:33 AM
I too would like to download photos  and files, but am not aware of other programs that do that.

Since they are not related to the posts directly, it would not have to be the same group or even the same part of the program.

Dave

Here's one:
http://www.rsbr.de

Wilson Logan

Have you tried it yourself Monte ?

Cheers,

Wilson.

monte

I use it, it works well.  Using it can put you over your download limit though, if you download a lot of files or photos at once.  The program is supposed to be able to download the messages also, but I don't think they've tried to keep up with the changes Yahoo has made, so that part hasn't worked in the past.

Monte

DaveMucha

I downloaded the demo version.

3 pics per folder limitation.

It ran fine.

I don't think the speed is an issue.  there are a limited number of files and pictures and one can take their time in downloading them.

I have played with it to see if it can do updates.

It is limited to IE and does not recognise FireFox.

Dave

dioxide

I use the program that Mr. Logan mentioned earlier, guru's Yahoo Group Downloader - http://www.groupfetch.com/ .  It works really well, actually.  It can download all your groups files, photos, and messages (however, the msg grabber is pure trash compared to pgo.)  
   I did not need to create seperate group folders by hand, the tool creates them automatically.  It remembers the files you've already grabbed, and it caches your groups so that it doesn't need to rescan each time you load it (only have it rescan if you add a group.)
   It's half the cost of the product offered at http://www.rsbr.de/ .  Even though it looks like it hasn't been changed for 3 years, the author still updates it to work around yahoo's obsession with changing their site around, and he seems like a fairly nice guy.
   I have 140 groups, so grabbing the files manually would be a fools errand.  I found that if you set it to wait 30 seconds between files, you can avoid the yahoo bandwidth lock almost completely.

I am not affiliated with guru or his company in any way, I just thought this might be of some help to those looking for this feature.
   I hope this is kosher, don't want to get in the doodoo for advertising some other guys software =/
tommy

Wilson Logan

No, its fine to advertise stuff that you find really works. I'll kick your ass if its crap though :)

Wilson.

vbwyrde

Yo hi - thanks for pgo - it works great for messages.  I would very much like to see the photos and files download feature added if possible.   I usually like to have one tool to handle operations of this sort and so it would be a useful addition to pgo, even if other programs do this as well.   Of course, I expect based on prior experience that pgo's version will be superior to the others as well.   Thanks again!   Great work!   Of course this all begs the question... why didn't Yahoo themselves provide a "Download Group Site" feature of their own, but... whatever.   You guys are filling in the gap and it's much appreciated.   Thanks again.

Wilson Logan

We never added such a feature as it seemed to be well catered for by others. At the time it was a big task & offered no unique selling point. Things have moved on & I may consider adding this feature sooner rather than later.

Cheers,

Wilson.

MatthiasW

Question about wunderbee:

I think in the new yahoo-message-structure are no attachments anymore, only embeddings?

By the way, I find the groupfetch-programs pure. One only can load all the files and pictures and has no possiblity to select specific directories or files.

I help me with GetWebPic, which but is not really prepared therefore, but it works - more ore less.

Sincerly

MatthiasW

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk