Started by Wilson Logan, January 21, 2004, 08:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilson Logan

Bear,

OK its done.

Cheers,

Wilson.

xdownloader

Can someone download astrologyandtimingevents group.  Yahoo keeps timing me out.

xdownloader

If a yahoo group starts to time out, how long do I have to wait before I can download again?

Wilson Logan

Hi,

You can be locked by Yahoo or PGO can timeout.

If Yahoo locks you out the lockout will last about  2 - 12 hours.

If PGO continues to timeout it is because it cannot understand the format of the messages. This can only be resolved by an update in PGO which will require access to the group to see the message format.

Cheers,

Wilson.

Richard W

Quote from: Wilson Logan on January 21, 2004, 08:47:27 PM
The mechanics of sharing archive files are dealt with here:

http://www.personalgroupware.com/tutorials.htm#SA
This guide seems to have gone missing.

What security issues are there in sharing archives (.pg4)?  Clearly the master database cannot be shared, as it will typically contain the user's Yahoo password.  One issue I can see  is that if the user is a group moderator or owner, email addresses will not be obfuscated.  Are there any other issues that may need to be addressed?

Wilson Logan

Hi Richard,

I think you've hit the two potential issues which are your own user & pwd being in the db3 file and unmunged member data in the PG4 file.

The db3 file is not designed to be shared, thats the job of the PG4 file.

I agree the full email addresses in the PG4 file is an issue if you export as an owner AND you have already run Get Members which gets the full email addresses.

I can see that I'm going to have to add a new option to the Export to Folder option.. "Do not export email addresses".

In the mean time you can open the PG4 file with SQlite Studio and delete the data in the Person.email_address field.

Note that if even if you are the owner, only the Get Members function gets real email addresses so until you do that, you can safely export data as PG4.

Cheers,

Wilson.

BMaverick

Wilson,

Has any of the Internet Archive groups approached PGO to SAVE what is left on the YG?  Did they obtain any PGO or is it all hype and talk about archiving the groups?

I've not come across any group doing a massive archive of YG with PGO.

This is the ONLY place I've read about ...

https://www.archiveteam.org/index.php?title=Yahoo!_Groups

And here are the live stats too.

https://tracker.archiveteam.org/yahoogroups/

Not sure about using their Warrior software.  I do limited programing, but not in the past 12 years.

BMaverick

Wilson Logan

I know nothing of this.

They were very negative about PGO or my mentioning it anywhere on their site.

I tend to avoid them.

mick

Long shot here, but I was hoping someone archived the 16mm Narrow Gauge Modelers group. I was able to get the files and photos from the group but ran out of time for the emails.

Mick Chaney

Wilson Logan

Hi Mick,

I got a couple of narrow gauge groups but not that one.

Did any of them transfer to groups.io ?

You could join one of those on groups.io and then ask around.

Cheers,

Wilson.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk