News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

No more download cache?

Started by gmayhew, June 02, 2004, 06:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmayhew

The download cache was working great, for me, but as of 2.5.6 it is gone. Can we have it back?

Regards,
George Mayhew

Wilson Logan

Hi George,

I decided to make it a registered user feature only. Not because I'm evil but because I dont want to sell un-registered users a pig in a poke.

Yahoo may pull the plug on that feature at any time & I dont want people to buy PGO & then have it not perform as they wish because of something which is out of my control.

If they get this feature as a freebie after registration then its no great loss if, all of a sudden, it stops working.

You see where I'm coming from?

Cheers,

Wilson.

gmayhew

Yes, that makes sense, but I hope that Yahoo leaves the plug alone. With the feature, I'm getting about 1200 messages in an hour's time, and never getting locked out. Without it, downloads came at a rate of about 50 per hour, and Yahoo locks me well before the first hour is through.

Is there some way to speed up downloads, without caching? I plan to register, but 50 per hour is way to slow.

Regards,
George

Wilson Logan

George,

Once you've downloaded all your groups you can switch off caching & use the old method. Especially if you refresh every day or so.

Cheers,

Wilson.

phazei

I never noticed the download cache.

How does it work?

Wilson Logan

Its only in the registered version.

Its in File --> Options --> Download--> Enable Messages Caching.

Cheers,

Wilson.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk