News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

Quoted messages in "Reply To"

Started by wundrbee, April 03, 2004, 06:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wundrbee

It would be nice if when you hit Reply or "Reply to Group" if the message would be quoted, so that you could leave a snippet in the e-mail so the person you are responding to knows what you are responding to.  Currently, I am using cut and paste.

Tammi

phazei

It would also be nice that when replying to a msg there was a choice to either reply to the msg in either email or perhaps actually opening a yahoo groups post window and posting to the group directly :)

Wilson Logan

Tammi,

This is my fault. One thing that *really* gets my goat is endless bloody replies to replies in threads I'm reading. Its the reason that 'Show>' and 'Hide>' was one of the very first features of PGO.

Its pure lazyness on the part of posters, they just hit the reply button & they *dont* trim. At least when folk are forced to cut & paste you make them think... "do I really want to quote all that?" Persistant full quoting is (quite rightly) a banning offence in some groups.

I'd consider offering auto-quoting as an option but if you don't trim there'd be a big pop-up

" You have quoted the full text of the email.
         Are you sure you want to do this?  
              <OK>  <Edit>  <Cancel> "

and if you click <OK>  

"           You have clicked OK.
            Are you really sure?
 Quoting full texts really annoys people.
      <OK>  <Edit>  <Cancel>  "

Cheers,

Wilson.

wundrbee

Quote from: Wilson Logan on April 03, 2004, 11:50:31 AM
Tammi,

This is my fault. One thing that *really* gets my goat is endless bloody replies to replies in threads I'm reading. Its the reason that 'Show>' and 'Hide>' was one of the very first features of PGO.

Its pure lazyness on the part of posters, they just hit the reply button & they *dont* trim. At least when folk are forced to cut & paste you make them think... "do I really want to quote all that?" Persistant full quoting is (quite rightly) a banning offence in some groups.

Yep, that's a peeve of mine of mine too. Especially if someone hits reply to a digest!
Quote from: Wilson Logan on April 03, 2004, 11:50:31 AM
I'd consider offering auto-quoting as an option but if you don't trim there'd be a big pop-up

" You have quoted the full text of the email.
         Are you sure you want to do this?  
              <OK>  <Edit>  <Cancel> "

and if you click <OK>  

"           You have clicked OK.
            Are you really sure?
 Quoting full texts really annoys people.
     <OK>  <Edit>  <Cancel>  "  

I like this. Maybe have it set up in options where you could turn the feature on or off. Or add something, like "select text to quote before replying to message" Again have it set up to turn off or on.

Tammi

Wilson Logan

I think we'll put this in the 'nice to have' pile.  There's a lot more pressing changes to be made which have priorty.

Cheers,

WIlson.

wundrbee

That sounds fine, it was just off the top of my head, and I thought I would run it past you.

Tammi

Wilson Logan

Tammi,

Thanks for the suggestion. Things lurk in the to-do pile for a good while, but they get implemented in the end.

Watch this space !

Cheers,

Wilson.

wundrbee

Sounds like my perpetual to-do list :D Funny thing is more gets added on than it, than taken off. However, what's on there usually does get done.....

Tammi

Rik

I think most folks that have gone to the trouble of getting something like this progarm probably are involved enough to agree with you.

I would like to be able to easily quote selected text. Asd a Yahoo Group moderator, it would be a big help to me.

Rik Rasmussen
Best Charts Yahoo Group Moderator
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bestcharts/

Wilson Logan

OK, here's my idea... when you reply to a message, any highlighted text in the currently open message becomes the quote.

Thoughts ?

Wilson.

wundrbee

So basically you'd highlight what you want to quote in the message window and it  would become the quoted part of the message?

I like it.

Tammi

Wilson Logan

Indeed. If there are no objections I think we'll go with that ?

Cheers,

Wilson.

Denos

I wwrote earl?ier today on an aspect of thzis topic, butI think I posted it to the wrong section.

I need to be able to quote parts of messages, not necessarily as replies, but as part of other postings, not necessarily Yahoogroups.

I use str+c strg+v, but it is a little clumsy and, worse, frames or something like that come with the copy when posted, for example, into WORD.

What would be great is a simple "Copy to clipboard" function.

Denos

Wilson Logan

Denos,

I have answered in the original thread:

http://pgoffline.com/forum/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=206

Cheers,

Wilson.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk