News:

Yahoo Groups closing on Dec 14th 2019

Main Menu

Categories

Started by richwein, March 16, 2010, 03:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richwein

I'm a member of several forums.  Sometimes really useful information is in the posts that I might need someday. 

Searching for it leaves a lot to be desired.

As I read through new posts, I've often wished I could tag it with one or more categories. 

I might want to tag a post with PART if someone mentions an alternative replacement part for my engine, or MOTORS if someone mentions sources relating to a motor I might want to find in the future.

At times, i've even thought about a structured category list, such as ENGINE/FUEL/FILTER for example.  I guess if you replace those '/' characters with commas its just a list of text tags.

We all get sloppy.  If the system had a tool to add, modify, or delete category tags that would be great.  In other words, when I tag a new group post I have to select from a drop down list of predefined categories.  If I want to add a new category then I could of course add it, but that would help prevent me from creating a category called ENGINE and by mistake also creating one called ENGINES.

Am I asking too much ?  Probably .  I use PG Offline every day and also search past postings using it rather than go directly to the Yahoo groups site.  It works very well.  Thanks for PG Offline.

Wilson Logan

Hi Rich,

Its been on the cards for a long time to add what I call the 'Library' feature. This would let you add categories and links to externals sources and your own notes and links to other messages and the ability to package up these amendments and share them with other PGO users. Even to co-author them. Ideal for creating FAQs for example.

Sadly it awaits better times.

Cheers,

Wilson.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk